Bumming around Borneo


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
September 12th 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Leech fallsLeech fallsLeech falls

Toby said the waterfall was nice and warm... and full of leeches who like it where it's nice and warm.
Long time no post. We're still in Borneo, just haven't had access to good wi-fi for a while. We went to a place in the highlands called Bario because people told us it was "untouched" and had few tourists as it was only accessible by air. We hoped to hike from one village to the next and stay in traditional long houses which are (no duh) really long houses which can accommodate up to 50 or 60 families. They have one long room for hanging out, one long room with individual kitchens, and individual family sleeping quarters in between. But when we got there nobody lived in long houses. Apparently the government has encouraged people to stop building them for fire reasons. Okay, so I guess that makes sense but bummer for us. On the up side, the pineapple grown there was absolutely delicious and some cooler air was a nice change.

We did see quite a few long houses along a river that we boated up but we didn't get to trek around the area much. Toby caught a flu and we chilled out (literally) in a hotel room for 3 days until he recovered. We did get a chance to take a short trip up to some waterfalls. Toby took a dip in the pool at the base and when he came out he had a stow away... a leech. Where would you never ever want to find a leach if you're a guy? Yup, on one of his boys. Maybe it was doing a rubber band impression. ;-)

Back in the saddle, we went to oil rich Brunei. They don't sell any alcohol there (though they let you BYOB a little) so it was a very short stay. The sultan's brother, the minister of finance, blew over US$1 billion on the self purported six star Empire Hotel. We went to see what it looked like and well, they didn't get much bang for their billion. I think someone un-feng shui'd it as the layout was really weird. The lobby was nice but not an OMG. Past the lobby and down some escalators to the right was a huge open atrium with at least 10 stories held up by marble columns. But you couldn't really see the whole thing from any angle so it seemed kinda useless.

We hiked to some caves loaded with bats and swiftlets and cave paintings. But the best thing has been a few days on an animal safari in Kinabatangan National Park. We were so lucky to see some wild orangutans. There were dozens and dozens of probiscus monkeys, macaques, silver langurs, huge horn bills, and tons of other birds.

Off to do some diving for the next few days.

Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

dead mouse deer & jungle catdead mouse deer & jungle cat
dead mouse deer & jungle cat

Our guide and the lodge keeper went hunting at night. The next morning we saw the results on this large pizza platter. Glad we didn't stay for dinner. Well, the deer probably would have been good but I've sworn off of kitties.
old tomb siteold tomb site
old tomb site

Keanu Reeves watch out! You may soon lose your coveted "worst actor of the year" award.
Niah cave painting, 1000+ years oldNiah cave painting, 1000+ years old
Niah cave painting, 1000+ years old

Musta been ancient yachties.
Python for lunch anyone?Python for lunch anyone?
Python for lunch anyone?

This python could be finger lickin' good for just US$15. Nora should love this one. ;)
Ali whosi-whatsits mosque, BruneiAli whosi-whatsits mosque, Brunei
Ali whosi-whatsits mosque, Brunei

Oddly enough, the worst slum of the city is right across from this mosque.
Empire hotel atrium, BruneiEmpire hotel atrium, Brunei
Empire hotel atrium, Brunei

I couldn't get any farther back to get the whole thing in the shot. It's hard to see the whole thing in one shot when you're there anyway.
Bird with eelBird with eel
Bird with eel

Sitting by the harbor of Kota Kinabulu drinking a beer and suddenly this huge bird swoops down and snatches this eel right out of the water next to us. Cool, huh?
Crocky knows which way to goCrocky knows which way to go
Crocky knows which way to go

This croc statue near the entrance to the town of Sandakan made us laugh. Hope it does for you too.
monkey pickermonkey picker
monkey picker

This guy stopped into the salon to have a few pesky critters picked from his pecs.
OrangutanOrangutan
Orangutan

This is probably one of those, "ya had to be there." It's amazing how large these guys are.
Karl Malden would be proudKarl Malden would be proud
Karl Malden would be proud

Better pic of a funky probiscus monkey.
King fisherKing fisher
King fisher

We saw some cool birds on a night hike through the jungle in Kinabatangan.


12th September 2008

No leeches for me.....
Continue to post I just love living the adventure vicariously,sans leeches of course. Take care of yourselves relative to health! I don't need to tell you there is danger out there. The pizza plate special is particularly daunting.

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb