The End of Asia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
March 13th 2011
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello there. It's been a while hasn't it. I hope the suspense hasn't been killing you? Unbelievably we are almost at the end of our first two months which has, all to predictably, flown by with impolite haste. I'm not sure how I can already be a third of the way through the trip?

What can I tell you about what we've been doing since I last wrote to you then? Well, from Koh Tao we headed over to the west coast on a bus, briefly stopping in Krabi before catching a boat to Railee Beach for a couple of days. Railee was very impressive, only accessible by boat, you complete the final few yards of your journey by wading through the sea with your bags on your back. It's surrounded by massive, dramatic cliffs and is Thailand's best spot for any rock climbers, although we opted for more lying around on the beach, rather than straining ourselves with physical exercise.

We were only there for a couple of nights as it was quite expensive, and being so isolated we had pretty much done all we needed to do in that time. So we headed over to the third and final island of our Thailand trip, spending 6 nights on Koh Lanta. Lanta life is exactly what you'd imagine island life should be, hot, sunny, laid back and relaxing. Again it was mostly spent on the beach, although the weather had the temerity to actually rain on us on our final day there and ruin our last beach day! Very rude, I know. Not that Chris minded, he'd gone off to pay a Thai man to beat him up for an hour with a 'relaxing' Thai massage.

We also spent one of the afternoons doing a Thai cookery course, as we've both been fairly impressed by the cuisine. It was good. We created one questionable dish, one mentally spicy one and 3 immense ones. I'd love to say you'll sample some when I come home but I'll definitely have forgotten by then.

After Lanta we returned to Krabi for a night as this is where Chris had had his new cash card sent to. So we approached the Post Office with nervous expectation and...it wasn't there. It was the bitterest of defeats. We'd been sure it would work. Chris began to spiral into depression as we started thinking of back up plans.

The best of these plans was to check again when we returned to the Post Office later on that day to post things home, and you'll never guess what...it was there!! Cue joyous scenes of utter delirium. Weeeell, Chris was pleased anyway. He managed to block it the first time he tried to use it again by the way, although I'm under strict instruction to report that this really wasn't his fault this time.

From Krabi we began our journey south, as it was time to leave Thailand after a fairly incredible 30 days. Via Hat Yai, the border crossing and a ridiculously cool thunderstorm we arrived in Malaysia. Or Georgetown, more specifically, where we spent two sleep deprived nights getting up at around 3am to watch the English teams in the Champions League.

Which brings us neatly to here and now. We're currently in the stupendously cool and underrated city of Kuala Lumpur and really enjoying it. I also got a camera replacement yesterday so I'll be well and truly on the case, trying to make up for lost time and photos from the past month.

This evening has actually provided me with two of my favourite moments of the whole trip. First, we went up the KL tower as the sun began to set and the view over the city as that happened was fairly incredible. Then our ticket allowed us to go into this little zoo type place at the bottom of the tower, where I got to witness Snake Ellis literally run away in terror as the man casually got a snake out of its cage and put it around my neck. This was followed by what can only be described as hyper ventilating from Christopher. It probably doesn't say much about me that I found it so amusing, but you have to believe me, it really was!

Anyway, I think that brings you up to date with everything we've been up to. We go to Singapore on Sunday evening which is our last stop until we catch our flights next Thursday. The birthplace of Mummy Botley for any Lorraine Botley fact fans out there, so quite looking forward to that. Then we face the uncertainty of being split up for the first time (Chris is going flying to Bali to spend two months in Indonesia for those who don't know), which is fairly daunting and I am sure will be weird when we first land. I'm quite confident the fact that I'll be in Australia will cancel out any nerves though.

Enough from me anyway, I hope everything is good with you all. I'll speak to you from Down Under!! G'day.

Si

X

Advertisement



13th March 2011

Glad you've been having fun Simon! When you get to Oz if you need any tips my number is 0426896403 :) I'm in Melbourne at the min and will be here over the next 6 months I reckon...seriously need more money this place is expensive!!x
13th March 2011

Snakes Alive!!
Hey Si, please don't forget how to cook, you might need to fall back on it when you get home cos I am getting used to catering only for two these days!! Chris, if it makes you feel any better, I too would have run for the hills for sure. Snakes? No I don't think so! Apart from the them it all sounds fab. What is he thinking of going anywhere near them? Take care in Singapore - 'credit card fraud capital of the World' boys so keep your wits about you. I think Oz is a bit dodgy too Si! We have sunshine here this Sunday morning - Spring may be in the air! Enjoy your next few days together and both take care on your own! Looking forward to the next installment already. Stay safe. love Mum (B) xxxxxx
14th March 2011

Nice one Si
Hi there Yes we enjoyed the long awaited blog, it does sound pretty good, though three weeks lounging about on some sun kissed beach must have been tough, but what the heck, I suppose some one had to do it. Would have liked a little more detail about the trip south, like how long and by what means? So how is Singapore? I had a look on Google the other day but was dissapointed not to be able to find the bungalow where we once lived. I hope that we will not have to wait untill Fiji to hear news of Chris's indivual leg of the epic, perhaps Si will allow you another guest appearence Chris, have a great time and take care. So Si on to Oz, Now then Si there are some critters out there which crawl, slither and swim of which you need to be aware, "no I dont mean the Aussie cricket team" rather those that sting, snap and bite, so take care. There again perhaps it could be Ricky's boys to which I refer. New camera sounds good, remember the tip about plastic bags. Enjoy keep in touch, your audiance eagerly awaits. love N&G "R"
17th March 2011

you've certainly packed in plenty of adventures and experiences in thailand. you've both got through in one piece and hopefully a little more clued up on life as a traveller!enjoy the next part-so much to do and see in both parts of the world. oz is a backpackers haven and i'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of it. are you doing the oz experience? jess recommends it as you really do meet up with people. and also syaying in hostels youre bound to find travelling buddies. are you sky diving? or seeing how the money goes. again, an experience thoroughly reccommended by jess but not sure if my nerves would hold up for that one! have a brilliant time simon and hope you dont mind if we still peep into your blog for the next 2 months? its always so informative and entertaining! also chris still owes you mega bucks. has he sorted it yet? we can sort it from this end if you want. have agood one simon and take care. love from us all jackie x p.s chris was very non plussed before he went re the whole snake thing. feeling he'd outgrown it all. obviously not! they dont teach you that at cambridge!!
17th March 2011

Carl
Fantastic Simon sounds like a fantastic trip!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb