Leaving on a jet plane


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
December 1st 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After a years planning, a crazy last week in Belfast and one final Ulster Fry we said our goodbyes and finally set off to Aldergrove to begin our life on the road. Belfast didn't seem to want to let us go without a fight and decided to throw a few snow storms at us just for a bit of craic, though we made it to the airport in one piece! Everything was smooth sailing until we boarded our plane to Stansted to meet our connecting flight to Kuala Lumpur. Now a lot can be said about Easyjet some would say they are unreliable where I personally would just call them useless. However with an hour of sitting on the runway then eventually having to change planes we made it to Stansted with an hour or two to kill before our flight to Malaysia. The flight to Malaysia was pleasant as it could be for a 13 hour flight and we managed to keep ourselves entertained and had a good nosey at everyone around us (Carl did).

I have never felt heat as powerful as I did when we stepped off the plane in Kuala Lumpur airport by the time we had collected our baggage and got through immigration the gravy was dripping of me and my clothes where soaked which Michelle seemed to take much enjoyment in. We had booked a hotel in the city's China Town district and I don't think either of us expected to experience a culture shock like it. I think the fact that Michelle saw a spider that was so big as she described it as wearing it's own set of D.M boots and also that we arrived in the middle of the madness of the night market made us realise we weren't in Corn Market anymore. We bit the bullet and went to try out one of the many hawker stalls, I had a spicy noodle dish and Michelle had dry rice - this was her being adventurous. Our first experience with chopsticks though I think Michelle might starve with her lack of co-ordination!

We both woke up the next morning feeling fresh and ready for action and set out to explore Kuala Lumpur. To be honest it is a beautiful city and the people couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. We took in most of the tourist attractions from China Town to Merdeka Square where Malaysia officially gained independence from Britain,and the Royal Lake Gardens which where immaculately kept with a real relaxed vibe, we then finished up with a curry in Little India.

On Tuesday the jet lag and the change in diet finally hit us (Carl had movements) and we spent most of the morning and afternoon recovering in our room. When we did get up we ventured into the city centre and seen the Petronas Towers which where the world's tallest skyscrapers until 2004.

The Beer is expensive here so we have actually been behaving quite a bit and being real tourists. Over the past few days we have definitely became more confident and are using the bus and trains as if we are locals. On Wednesday we got up early and managed to get a bus to the Batu Caves which are 10 miles outside of the city. The Caves are Hindu shrines guarded by a 43 meter golden statue of the Murga a Hindu God. Hindu temples are inside the caves with the main cave being on a steep slope with over 250 steps to get up to it, needless to say we were wrecked by the time we got to the top. The Caves are also guarded by a group of monkeys who look tame enough until you turn your back on them and they'd mug you for whatever food they can get off you and have the cheek to laugh at you while doing it.

We have now left K.L and after MANY winding and STEEP roads we have arrived safely at the Cameron Highlands, yep our ears are yet to pop, but it was worth it! The town, Tanah Rata is set high up in the mountain range surrounded by beautifully kept tea plantations, strawberry farms and waterfalls. Tomorrow we have a trip organised which includes going deep into the jungle, swimming in waterfalls and visiting a local hill tribe village. Some of our pics are attached if you fancy a look! Keep you posted :-P xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



3rd December 2010

:)
hey well luks like ur both havin a ball! So jealous NI's came 2 a stand still after a view inches of snow. The mountain village sounds class but im sure u'l c bigger spiders with bigger DM's lol pics r class & lukin 4ward 2 cing sum more. Take care & as always behave :-) speak soon x
4th December 2010

lookin good guys
wow, so far so good dudes!!! looks and sounds fab. We are stuck in sub zero temps while u2 live it up in the sun... Keep on truckin and stay safe. Oh, Michelle buy a beer remember there is always dotty for a sub lol xxx Kim (keep in touch)
5th December 2010

OMG I am so jls!!! Glad you are having a good time, it looks amazing.. Jack says Hi by the way.. Take care, speak soon xoxo

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb