Sleepless in KL


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Leaving London...
1/5/2011, Jan
After finishing with all the packing and cleaning we left our home of the last 2 years. It was a weird feeling, knowing that we will never set foot in, what was our first flat where we lived alone.
We spent the last day at a Pete’s, watching movies and playing FIFA (well Polona, was more of a cheer-leader). Chris proved once and for all that he is the FiFA master of the family, a fact Pete just didn’t want to accept.
The flight went smoothly. There were quite a few empty seats, so we each had two seats to sleep on. We arrived in KL at 7pm and were welcomed by 29 degrees and a work colleague of mine, Yean Yean and another Synovator, Susan.
From the airport Yean 2x took us out for a nice meal in central KL – on a street full of restaurants we sat down and had Chinese food. The food was really rich in flavours, completely different from what you would get back home in Slovenia. It was all finished up with a dessert from ice, beans, corn and peanuts.
We ended up going to bed at around 2 am. The next
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Saying goodbye to friends
day we woke up at around 3pm – big mistake. As we have more than enough time, we didn’t really care what time we got up. We should have known better than to continue living on UK time.
We spend the first day in KL just walking around, without any real idea of what we want to see. We ended up at the Petronas Twin towers, at one point, the tallest building in the world and ended up our day at Matic (Malaysia Tourism Centre). We stopped to get a map of the city, but ended up visiting a dance folklore show, of different Malaysian ethnic groups.
Due to the time difference we stayed up till 4 am in the morning, not being able to sleep. We set up an alarm clock for 9:30 (on holiday :S) and managed to get out of bed by 10:30. Hopefully, this will help us, getting our bodies in the correct time zone.
And to wrap up our first blog, we want to thank Yean Yean for all her hospitality! The ride from the airport, the great food and for letting us stays in the guest room. I doubt we will have this much
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

But meeting new ones straight away
comfort anywhere else on our shoestring trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Malaysian idea of a dessert...beans, corn, peanuts...
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

...or one with eggs?
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

The most recognizable building in KL


4th May 2011

ICEY PEANUTS
Beans, corn and Peanuts...I don't even want to SAY what that connocation reminds me of... Sounds like you're having a wicked time so far though! Can't wait to hear more :-)
5th May 2011

all the best dude
so, you make malaysia as the first country to visit in your south east asian trip.. FYI, i'm malaysian n here is my recommendations, just in case you didn't make any plan yet.. for the beach = Perhentian Island is the tourist-must-visit area if you are looking for sunshine n sunbathing, situated at the south east peninsula Malaysia... 2) Pulau sipadan, a world class diving site, is a place that u can experience the underwater lives, located far away to the west Malaysia, in Sabah state.. but it is a worth place to visit temperate weather = in case you want to feel back to your home atmosphere, and away from high temperate areas likes KL, Cameron Highlands and Genting Highlands can fulfill your wish... it is just 2hours drive from KL. historical sites = Melaka/Malacca and Georgetown/Penang has been established as UNESCO historical sites, you can learn about Malaysia history at these place and sightseeing the old classic building.. situated south to KL, 2-3 hours drive Eco-tourism = go to National Park, at the border of Pahang and Kelantan state, can be reached by east coast train... this is one of the oldest tropical forest in the world...if u are lucky, u can meet uncle tiger and Bro Sumatran rhino in this place... ouhh, in West Malaysia, there is a Wildlife Protected area for the orang utan (jungle man) and proboscis monkey (long nose monkey) which are close to extinct wildlife animals.. better go there before they vanish from the earth.. Food = Penang and Melaka are the place where all races and cultures in Malaysia meet... means u can get to try a variety of food... try roti canai, air batu campur n also teh tarik... Nasi jandar is a specialty in Penang, very spicy, indeed.... Traditional lifestyle = Due to some issues, Kelantan state has been ignored by federal government in development plan... so people in this place lives in a traditional way and you can get a feeling how Malaysia looks like 20-30 years ago.... Wish u have a safe journey in my country...
5th May 2011

Thank you so much for all the tips. We are in Cameroon highlands at the moment and its amazing. more to follow.

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 21; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb