Kuala Lampur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » Bukit Bintang
November 8th 2010
Published: November 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kuala Lumpur!!
This is where the trip finally starts! And what a start..30 degress at night and 30 during the day, so humid that simply walking 5 minutes makes you sweat what you would do in 1 year in London, but hey this is the equator climate and I'm loving it!

Spent here 2 days which are just enough to have a clear picture of the city. And that was quite a picture. Enjoyed walking for a few hours under all those tall buildings (included the Petronas Towers, one of the tallest skyscrapers) and the hoping on and off the monorail (reminded me of a simpson episode).
The modern district is peculiar as there's plenty of new shiny stuff but then you have just to turn the corner to find few old school stalls selling local food in the backstreet and in some parts of the district even a rare jungle tree, which looks pretty lonely.
KL is also famous for its markets. I really liked the indian one, full of colours, scenses and indian pop music lol
Chinatown market, on the other end, was really as any other chinese market I have seen in this mighty world: full of cheap junk and fried food.
KL seemed to be a city of contrasts, thorn between the tradition and the desire for western modernity, big buildings and mosques (but also christian churches, hindu and buddhist temples).
However, KL is only 110 years old, built where there used to be the jungle, that useed to cover all the malaysian peninsula, but was replaced by destroyed by logging and replaced by the very remunerative palm oil business.
Shame on the Malays for all those palm trees, which are used to produce palm oil. They have replaced 60% of the jungle without providing any of its biodiversity so important for not only Malaysia but for the whole planet as well. While leaving the city with the airplane heading north (I'm going to Cambodia) you can clearly see what I am talking about. Good to see the jungle fighting back in some parts tho!

So, after having lost a flight because of a misunderstanding (with myself) about the dates of my flight from KL to Siem Reap, I finally landed in this little city which is the gateaway to one of the wonders of the world: the ancient kingdom of Angkor.
I have had 2 dreams since i was kid: visit Angkor and the Machu Picchu. Hopefully I will be able to narrate both of them on this pages.
Touching wood, I wish you all a good night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb