Perhentian Paradise


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Kecil
September 17th 2006
Published: September 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

My BungalowMy BungalowMy Bungalow

Very cosy apart from the splinters
Got to the Thai/Malaysian border, had to take some individual moped rides in monsoon rain to the border crossing, these people have no concept of 'stopping distance' Walked over the bridge from Thailand into Malaysia and got through no wories (the border has a bad reputation and they do say not to cross at night) Then got a taxi to the nearby border town, one hour aqua plane session, I do wish those drivers would not sit on each others butts.

Got to Kota Bharu, booked into a right dive for one night, this town is an excellent example of Islamic Culture. Sadly we chose that night to enjoy a Pizza Hut meal, a not so excellent example of Western Culture. On return braved the most disgusting showers in the world for a 30 second skoosh.

Next morning got the most deathtrap looking taxi we could find and drove for an hour and a half to the leaving point for the Perintian Islands. A speedy boat crossing to the smaller island of Kecil which lies about 20km off the coast of Malaysia. Booked into some rustic but cosy chalets in the right location near the beach, but in the
Coral BeachCoral BeachCoral Beach

Just a stroll through the jungle
jungle.

Spent 3 days on the Perhentian, was excellent for snorkelling, and on one day we went out all day in a boat to the best spots, included swimming with the sharks, but only 1 metre long black tips, they shoot off as soon as they see you, hopefully not to thell the Tigers etc that we are there. Have done so much swimming in deep water it's good for the old water confidence, but it helps when the water is so warm.

Other activities included some unwise treking off the beaten track into the jungle, and sitting on the balcony of my chalet. Spent a lot of time in the nearby bushes trying to photo lizards, and that's the story I told the Malay authorities and I'm sticking to it! (ha ha)

One night was particularly pleasant, walking through the jungle path to the other beach of Coral Bay and enjoying a BBQ and sitting out for hours watching the amazing lightening displays (free of charge) then stumbling back in the dark through thick jungles, trying not to trod on the massive lizards that hang out there.

So to be fair the Perenthians proved to
Long BeachLong BeachLong Beach

cos it's Long
be pretty much the not yet spoiled (watch this space) bit of paradise that made us endure the journey to get there. Were sorry to leave but they don't have cash machines on the island so we had no choice. Our little group extended to five as we met 2 lads from Birmingham. Boat journey back was a bit bumpy and my hat flew off and out to sea almost hitting the driver in the face. Found a taxi back to the Thai border, for once nice and slow, the police are cracking down thank god.

A short but sweet little sojurn into Malaysia, and means another 30 days on passport in Thailand.

I have a load of good photos now, on my new camera purchased in Singapore, will try and upload some soon, and then put a whole shedload onto this site on my return to Scotland.

tbc.






Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Jungle PathThe Jungle Path
The Jungle Path

From Long Beach to Coral Beach
My BungalowMy Bungalow
My Bungalow

View From
My RoomMy Room
My Room

Mosquito net is an essential, and you spray room with repellent before you go out as an extra.
The Big ClimbThe Big Climb
The Big Climb

Where from here?
Long BeachLong Beach
Long Beach

The other end
Coral BeachCoral Beach
Coral Beach

One big outdoor cafe, but it's great


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb