The Simple Life


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Kecil
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After taking a night bus from Kuala Lumpur and a "fast boat" from Kuala Besut, we arrived in the Perhentian Islands on September 15. We spent 3 nights on the Perhentian island of Kecil. The Perhentian islands are a national park off the eastern coast of Malaysia - the beaches were beautiful, the sun was relentless, and the water was crystal clear. Dan and I went snorkelling and saw amazing sea turtles, barracudas, puffer fish, and many other colourful tropical fish. Dan also saw a shark at, aptly named, shark point. I also snorkelled here but avoided the shark - I think by sheer virtue of willful blindness.
Dan also went on a wreck dive called Sugar Wreck. The vessel is 80 metres long and between 8m and 18m deep. He said it was pretty cool as they were able to swim through the cargo hold.
Other than reading in a hammock and activities in the ocean, there is not much to do in the Perhentians. The only electricity is provided by generators, so there was a nice fan for sleeping at night, but during the day nowhere to escape the heat. We stayed at Coral Bay on one side of the island, but walked across to Long Beach to eat our dinners on the beach. The walk is through jungle and we saw lots of rather large monitor lizards hiding (or not) in the jungle. It was really a simple couple of days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Night BusNight Bus
Night Bus

Dan making constructive use of our sleep aids


23rd September 2008

quite an adventure
Way to go guys, you seem to be enjoying your long vacation...keep the entries and pictures coming. Snorkelling sounded awesome.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb