Diving in the Perhentians!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Kecil
May 12th 2007
Published: May 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Long BeachLong BeachLong Beach

It wasn't short, I can tell you that!
Left the very cool Cameron Highlands for a very long trip to Kuala Besut to catch a boat to the Perhentian Islands. It was fantastic to be back on a boat again cruising along the water! After arriving on the smaller island (the larger Perhentian Island is full of expensive resorts and so basically no backpackers!) wandered along Long Beach searching for a good dive school to complete the Padi Open Water course with. Eventually settled on signing up with Turtle Bay Divers.

The Open Water course itself took three days to complete. The first day was basically going over lots of theory as well as completing a couple of confined dives. You have to go through all the skills you talk about in the theory like taking the regulator out of your mouth and replacing it, flooding your mask a bit and then the whole way and also clear it, as well as take your mask off and put it back on again (that one has got to be the worst!).

The next couple of days were taken up with completing four open water dives. All the dives were fantastic and I saw so many fish. There
Turtle Bay DiversTurtle Bay DiversTurtle Bay Divers

Where all the scuba diving fun happened
were loads of clownfish (Nemos for all you Finding Nemo lovers out there!) on all the dives, a few jellyfish (really not that fun being surrounded by them!), and also a hawksbill turtle feeding on the coral! It was also great to have a few little cleaner shrimp give my hands and fingers a good clean!

Diving pretty much took up the whole of my time while at the Perhentians (studying again was so much fun!) but I did treat myself to a day on the beach soaking up the sun after having completed the Open Water course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



4th June 2007

Beautiful!
And daring! Diving, eh? Very pro, Andrew ;d

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb