Perhentian Islands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Besar
September 27th 2014
Published: September 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in Kuala Lumpur we both decided to go to Batu caves which we were excited about until we were standing at the bottom of 270 steps to the top, once we were half way we decided to take a break to look around and rest our poor legs, after standing there for not long at all we realised people were being robbed by monkeys literally taking what they could see and seeing if they could eat what they had just stolen. Once we reached the top we both realised that it was no Egyptian master piece or ancient carvings nothing about this cave made me say wow it was just a cave I could have just gone onto google images and looked it up! After going back to Jims Condo we packed our stuff and were both looking forward to the gruelling 10 hour bus trip to Kuala Besut (Perhentian Islands). Whilst on the bus we both tried to get as much sleep as we possibly could and after roughly 5-6 hours of fidgeting,coughing,getting cramp etc etc we both surprisingly were able to get 2-3 hours sleep on the night bus. When we were both exiting the bus we were hungry, tired and lethargic and now I have a small person on my back (Backpack) there is a woman in my face pestering me to get onto her boat to the Perhentian Islands I just agreed with her and asked her where the nearest cash point was, haha it still makes me laugh as to what she said next.... 
" You go down here walk for 2 minutes you take a right" 
"You walk for 3-4 minutes you take a left" 
"You will then walk for another 3-4 minutes and the take a right" 
"Walk a little longer once you reach the polis station it's down there" 
We didn't take much notice and just started walking in the direction which felt best, on our little road trip we encountered wild goats wooden huts washing of some kind and about 4 mosques blaring our there Islamic jams at 6am.... We even picked up another tourist on the way to the bank which after around half an hour and the sun rising we finally found. Anyway after the power boat ride to the paradise islands We walked upto the first accommodation and asked to see the rooms, in my opinion the rooms looked like the flinstones built a crack den back in the 1950's they were disgusting I wouldn't have let an animal stay in there, But after we walked down the beach a little more we found a shed that someone wanted to lend us which had a fan a bed and I'm not going to tell you about the shower, but hey we're backpackers right.... 
Whilst on the Island we sunbathed went snorkelling we partied and there was a Komodo Dragon that liked to circle our shed which was a bit freaky. 
We then left the backpacker island and traveled by water taxi to the resort island which was completely deserted, we thought we were treating ourselves to a nice hotel but in reality the tap water was brown, the pool was filled with crap and they severed noodles and potato wedges for breakfast? On top of that we spent almost half an hour looking for the light switch so we could go to sleep and then the rest of the night laying awake as I was convinced there was some sort of animal waiting to pounce and kill us.. Turned out it was the aircon unit dripping water! The worst part of the stay was realising they didn't serve alcohol on the resort island, safe to say we were devastated!
After our stay on paradise island we decided to make a move to main land and upto Kota Bharu which was quite different, as there we encountered rats running down the road dogs howling and the polis taking a liking to Miss Ryan.. Luckily she sniffed out the only bar in the whole town and we spent the night with a jug of tiger! Its the second day of being at Kota Bharu I can now tell you I am on a 7 hour bus trip to Penang.. Yay.. 

P.s Alan I ended up watching the F1 in a bar in Kuala Lumpur where we bought a Jug of Tiger beer for £2 which wasn't too bad ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb