Mulu National Park part 1 of 2


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Gunung Mulu National Park
December 9th 2009
Published: December 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Fokker 50 arriving at Mulu Airport 27 secs
Mulu Natinoal Park is situated in the middle of Malaysian Borneo, in the deep jungle. Access is limited to a 30-minute flight from Miri, or a very long boat ride. Flying it is, I concluded, and from Kuching I booked myself on a flight to Miri, and then onwards to Mulu. (There should be a video loading at the top of this post).

Mulu is one of Sarawak's top attractions and home to one of the largest cave systems in the world. There are 4 so-called "showcaves" that can easily be visited and have walkways and lightings. It is possible to visit more caves by doing an adventure caving trip, but this is for experienced cavers only.

The 4 caves are beautiful and I did them all in one day.

The first 2 caves can be reached by a 20-minute boat ride from the park head quarters or an hour's trek. I went by boat first, and then walked back. Along the way on the boat ride, we stopped at a small village, beautifully located in between the mountains. It wasn't that special though, and there were all sorts of souvenirs on display of course.

On to the caves. The first one, Wind Cave had beautiful formations like stalactites, etc. When guides are walking you through the cave, they see all sorts of things in these formations: turtles, eagles, a king. They are there in your imagination only.

The second cave was Clearwater cave. This was a larger cave, and had an underground river flowing through it. Very impressive!

While trekking back to the head quarters, I passed through another small cave, luckily I knew that a flashlight was essential to get through here!

After lunch, I headed for the next cave. I was going to see the Biggest cave passage in the world! Up next!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb