Man of the Forest


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary
October 20th 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Its hard to tellIts hard to tellIts hard to tell

Scott wondered, as its been nearly a year, if its time they invested in a haircut!
Kat writes: After jigging along on a local bus for an hour we reach our destination Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre and it is so worth the journey.

A centre, on the edge of protected jungle, where they rehabilitate orphaned Orangutan's with the aid of WWF UK. They teach them everything, even how to climb and then send them back out to the wild.

Unfortunately the centre had just suffered a major blow- at the beginning of the month a monsoon totally destroyed their tourist viewing platforms. This is where Orangutans that they have released come back if they want to for food. Some can never fend for themselves and return everyday after their release and some they never see again! Despite the missing platforms people were still turning up, including us, so they opened up their infants training ground to us.

We watched as the baby Orangutans fed and played in their nursery area which is not fenced or caged in any way - its just simply a piece of the jungle - and when they have had enough fun they just come in again to the centre.

Definately a case of less words and just view the pictures. They were so gorgeous! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The local busThe local bus
The local bus

On the way back the bus was packed with people - mainly with school kids all of which were having a few cheeky cigerettes.


15th November 2006

im exhausted
ha just finished your journal.... wow what a trip!!!! you have truely seen some amazing sights.. and i think you must be renamed wonder woman and super man.. can you two just turn your hand to anything or what!!! was shocked you didnt bungee.. So where are you now?
19th November 2006

Glad your enjoying it!
Hi Deborah, glad your enjoying reading our blog - we are having a blast creating it! We loved SE Asia but now we are loving South Africa! Yes, get yourself to Carins for Chrimbo - its a fun town wth lots of watering holes to get you in the festive spirit!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 20; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb