Kinabalu National Park


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
February 14th 2009
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 14th February 09:
Got up to early to get a bus to Poring where there are natural volcanic hot springs in the mountains. We did a canopy walk in the afternoon where we walked up into the jungle then over what was essentially just a ladder strung on some lengths of string between the trees in the forest. Scary. Didn't see much wildlife unfortunately, possibly because it was just about to rain. We then walked through a waterfall and up through the jungle to a bat cave that had no bats. And smelt rather odd - not of bat poo though, just... odd. We headed back down and finally got into the pools with the hot spring water. The taps were so slow that the water baths took ages to fill so we lay down as flat as possible to get ourselves covered in the eggy smelling water before giving up and going to the swimming pool! The water was really rather hot though! And sulphurous - it turned my silver ring a bright golden colour! When we got to the swimming pool it was a complete contract as it was REALLY cold! I think it may have been diverted river water as it was a funny cloudy murky green colour and REALLY cold. Did I mention, it was REALLY cold! Toby went on the water slide but I didn't because I didn't want to put my head in the REALLY cold water. Ok, enough now. WE hurried out of the park to see if we could see the Rafflesia, a massive flower found in Malaysia that blooms only in certain places in certain times of the year. And smells like rotting flesh to attract the flies that pollinate it. Alas, by the time we were out, all the trails were closed. They were just local chancers who look for the flowers then charge people to show them where they are but we still didn't want to be heading into the jungle on our own at it was getting dark. Went back to Ranau for chinese food and to watch the end of Titanic - well it was Valentines day! When we got back Toby gave me beautiful silver and 'diamond' ring that had a note with it saying it was expressly NOT an engagement ring! It's beautiful.

Sunday 15th February 09:
Caught a bus to Kinabalu National Park in the morning. We could have embarked on the trail up to the summit but it seemed like a lot of organisation was involved with getting guides, arranging accommodation (which was largely overbooked and overpriced), having the right equipment and clothing and more than anything - it sounded bloody hard! 8 hours up an unrelenting sharp stoned granite path to stay in a hostel for a few hours kip then off again at 2.30 in the freezing cold morning to get to the summit for day break which may, or may not be covered in cloud. Seemed a lot of risk and hard work for what could be a disappointing finish. That is my justification for being lazy. Besides, I didn't want all my muscles aching when we were about to start our PADI diving course! Instead we chose the longest path - Ligawu Trail - on the National Park map and headed up to the Timpohon Gate where the trail to the summit is blocked off for those without a guide and who haven't paid the hefty park fee. We trod up and down the mountain path, over little streams, through the jungle and mostly through a lot of cobwebs (I don't know what you call silk worm/caterpillar thread - other than silk worm thread - but I think that's actually what it was as I kept finding little caterpillars on me). I was totally knackered after our little jaunt and was glad we hadn't taken on Kinabalu! We caught a bus to Snadakan that afternoon and arrived in the early evening to find most things shut! Even the 'night' market closes at 9pm around here! Managed to find one open restaurant (other than KFC!) so had some curry before retiring to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sat in a puddleSat in a puddle
Sat in a puddle

This was about as full as we managed to get it in an hour!
In the JungleIn the Jungle
In the Jungle

In the Kinabalu National Park


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb