Borneo - Great nature, crazy prices


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
June 13th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Being Swiss, I had a special relationship to Borneo, ever since Bruno Manser came back from the jungle and tried to convince the Western Europeans and us cheese eaters to help and conserve the Rain Forest.

As much Manser was loved and cherished in Swizterland, he was disliked in Malaysia for his activities and most likely killed at the end, stepping to much on someones big toe.

Ironically, the very things making him an unwanted element back then are now the things which are under protection... at least officially.

Lets leave politics for a moment... Borneo is an amazing place, one of few with a Bio diversity, that is only matched in some areas of Africa and in the Amazonas region to my knowledge.

Places like the Mount Kinabalu Park, Sandakan Region, Sipadan or Mulu in Sarawak are just a few to name. As great as all the places are, as expensive they have become.

In some cases its unfortuantel a joke what is offered on infrastructure and what you have to pay for... Hopefully it ends up in the right pockets at least, so the region stays preserved.

For everyone enjoying wildlife though, the region is great. You better leave the rather boring KK as soon as possible behind you and explore parts of the Mount Kinabalu park with pitcher plants and rafflesia flowers. From there you could travel to Sandakan, visit the Orang Utan sanctuary and the Turtle Island Park. Sandakan is also the getaway to the Sukau river system, where you can see the Nose Monkey, Snakes, Crocodiles and many other animals.

Unfortunately places to stay are very basic there. You would certainly expect more for the money and least be able to look forward to a good bed at the end of the day... A bit spoiled i guess ;-)

In Jame we had a great guide however, who made up for the missing good sleep, with his passion for and knowledge about the region.

if you are still not broke by then and love diving you could go further to Sipadan, or you fly to Mulu from KK and explore some of the biggest caves in the world.

I never was a great cave enthusiast but to see hundred of thousands bats leaving the deer cave at dusk is an experience not to be missed.

All in all great nature, but a huge downer for the price/value on infrastructure.. just imagine that some of the prices are as high as the Maldives... i know my preference already...





Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb