Trekking in Long Pasia!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
May 1st 2007
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

So next Raleigh phase was the trekking, with my group we had 10 days trekking around the Long Pasia area, we drove down to Sipatang in the coach then it was 5 hours from there in jeeps as the track was not great!

Long Pasia is a beautiful village in the middle of nowhere - just jungle. we set off for two 5 day treks, the first trek was not hard,we walked every day about 5 hours through all kinds for jungle carrying every thing we would need for the week. Every day we would set up our bashers (hammocks and tarps) when we reached the camp site, the camp sites usually consisted of a river and loads of trees, we had to make our camp area with parangs (big knives!) each evening we would build a big fire to cook on and make a seating area by cutting down some trees! The guide - Hanrey (or Jungle George as i called him) was fab, each night we would have jungle crafts and learn how to make things, like arm chairs and bracelets - we even drank out of bamboo trees. It was really great setting up your basher anywhere and sleeping out in the open all the time. However it was not all good i got really il on the first trek and had to trek with really bad D&V not nice! so generally felt like crap for a good 4 days, and did not eat for 2 of them! it is amazing how much you can do with out food - after a quite a few antibioetics and pain killers i finally got better for the second trek, after a few days in Long Pasia and an other ceremony.

The second trek was more challenging and more varied, alot more hills but some amazing view and brilliant camp sites, we saw maga falls (waterfall), climbed down into a bat cave, more trekking and washing in rivers. We also had some amazing river crossings, in the first trek we had to build a raft from bamboo to get all our kit and us across the river! The second trek the river crossings were more hairy we had to wade across waist deep water with packs - so much fun!



Advertisement



13th July 2007

check this website
www.freewebs.com/longpasia

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb