Penang and Kuala Lumpur break


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
May 5th 2010
Published: May 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I've stayed in Penang for only a couple of days, but chose Shangri-La hotel as finding a hotel can be very tricky and expensive especially during the high season.

Some of my days here was spent soaking in the sun. I tried all sort of beach sports which was available plus the horse riding in the beach which gave me this unsettling feeling of exposure for a few minutes. It was fun and weird at the same time. I also had fun scaring the hell out of my jetski guide for an hour by driving to fast. It was the craziest ride of his life.

I also got to see other islands near by and got to play with monkeys while trekking short distances in to the forest.

Apart from all the beach acitivies, there is a whole new world to be explored outside the resort.

One which is particularly famous is the George Town, the capital city named after the British king.
The city is best known for its historical sights and many cultural temples. Like any other famous city known for its tourism, George town is alive, bustling with night life to choose from Jalang Penang to Lebuh Fraguhar area.

Here are some of my top places worth sight seeing in Penang:-

- All major heritage within reach and clanhouses in George Town city
- The Jade Emperor's Temple
- Penang Hill which is at 821m above sea level for some of its coolest colonial mansions which is now apparently converted into restaurant and guest houses
- Kek Lok Si Temple, one of the biggest buddist temple in Malaysia
- Reclining Buddham built by the thai buddist monks.
- National Park (Muka Head) - for fishing, swimming and trekking and sight seeing of other islands near by.
- Toy Museum - Fascinating collections
- Tropical Spice Garden, naturally beautiful.
- Snake Tempe and Butterfly farm

Kuala Lumpur is best known for its commercial center that includes Petronas Twin Towers, clubbing and shopping district. I absolutely enjoyed shopping here. One of the must-do things while in KL is going to 44th floor (skybridge) of the Twin Towers. The que takes about an hour and the view is spectacularly beautiful.

If you ever want to escape the traffic and bustling city of Kuala Lumpur, I suggest hiring a van to go to the North capital of Kuala Lumpur and visiting Batu Caves which is a sacred place for Hindus in Malaysia.
These limestone caves were discovered dating back 19th century and popular for hindi devotees.

Upon arrival you'll be greeted by lots and lots of monkeys on the steps. They love peanuts and bananas and most tourist buys them in several shops before climbing 272 steps of the magnificent Batu Caves.

After the Batu Caves we head straight to Royal Selangor Factory in Setapak. Here we saw the fascinating world of the silversmith. Name all things you see and possibly use in your daily life, its all here made of tin and copper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



2nd January 2011
Horse riding in the beach

nice
really beautiful , exellent

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb