It’s raining its pouring ….


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
January 13th 2007
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were picked up at the respectable hour of 10.30am to begin our journey to the world's oldest rainforest. We were the only two in the minibus so we had the added luxury of being able to stretch out. All luxurious until we stopped to get our rainforest passes, and the heavens opened - Rob got wet!

We arrived at about 5.30pm and found a guesthouse to check-in. The place is very small, and it didn't take very long to explore at all. There are a number of floating restaurants and we went and had a drink (non-alcoholic as this place is dry!), and bumped into the two drowned rats from day 1 in the Cameron Highlands - It would be difficult to miss people in a place so small.

We had one of our worst meals yet - After having asked how big the medium portion comes up, and being told that it was enough for 2 people, Rob and I ordered sweet and sour chicken and rice, a medium portion to share. When it came up, the portion was laughable, and there was more bone than chicken. We ended up finishing our rice with some chilli sauce to make it more palatable. To make up for such poor pickings we rounded the meal off with a banana pancake, and that was one thing that they couldn't mess up!

The next day we set off into the jungle. First we had to cross the river in a small boat with drivers that would make a 17 year old in a pimped up Micra with a new license look cautious, but I guess they do it everyday! We set off in the direction of the canopy walkway, with our feet slipping around in the sticky mud. We stopped regularly to do a 'leech check', but at this point we didn't see any. We got to the sign for the walkway, and found that it closed on Fridays at 12.00 - By this time it was now 1.30pm.

We decided to do a walk instead, and climbed a peak - it was really hard, sweaty work in the tropical weather, and as the photos show, we were really glistening when we reached the top! But the views were good. We boosted our energy levels with some chocolate, and set off again. We decided not to follow the path back the way we had come but to follow a new route. This took us down to the stream, which we crossed, after Rob rescued me from a spider that had found its way onto my trouser leg.

We continued walking, and walking, until we got to a fallen tree. My short little legs couldn't reach the ground on the other side, so my bum touched the tree and there I collected my first leech. Rob had the job of rescuing me from this as well! From this point on, my pace was a little quicker, as I didn't want to give the leeches a chance to climb up my shoes onto my legs! The leeches did not look how I expected (black slugs), they are long and thin, and brown. Not pleasant looking. As you walk past they all kind of wave at you as they smell your blood!

We ended that walking getting absolutely drenched in the 3 o'clock downpour. It was time for a quick cold shower (still hate these), and we went out to rehydrate and refuel. We found some dinner that was a slight improvement on the previous nights, a bit more meat and they served fruit and veg!

Today we set off in the same direction to do the canopy walk. It was much wetter underfoot, and we checked that it would be open before we walked the 1.5km.

Part of the canopy walk is closed for maintenance at the moment, so it was a shorter walk (about 300m instead of 500m). Amy thought that she was alright with heights, but we now know that she is less than keen on 'wobbly heights' much! Luckily we were the only 2 there at the time, so she could walk each section on her own, without Rob wobbling it too much! In high season you have to queue to walk each section, and up to 4 people are allowed on each section at a time. Amy made it to the end, but couldn't look down whilst on the bridge, she was fine on the static platforms!

We decided to walk back and call it a day. The heavens opened - the 3 o'clock downpour was early as it was only 2pm! We found out how waterproof our boots are - not to the extent you can walk paths that look like streams! We were sodden, but at least we were warm. After the exertion, the cold shower was almost warm!

We are glad that we have visited, but I am sure that it is much better in the dry season. We are leaving tomorrow, heading for KL in search of a hot shower, and a laundry that will accept our smelly muddy wet clothes!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb