Caves, With Bats, Big Bugs and Alot Of Darkness


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
August 28th 2007
Published: August 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another planned trip took us to Gua Telinga the Cave Exploration deep in the heart of the rainforest. The group and I were totally unprepared for what we were about to discover. The rain had made the area very slippery and dangerous so guide provided gloves (as if they were gonna help!), via ropes we desended into the dark depths of the caves through water we walked upto our a knees at points. Then the guide would stop and show us something, a cave centapeid, nasty looking thing about 5inches long and poisonous so I hear. Then spiders as big as your hand, not dangerous but they leap at incredable distances, in our case right over us scaring a couple of dutch girls half to death.
Under tight crawl spaces and through more water we wade into a tight cavern, bearly able to stand the guide turns on his torch at the roof. To our amazment.... bats, hundreds of tiny bats quiet till we moved closer then they all fly out around the room- a sight to behold certainly scary to think there was no way out except the next route we took. This time it was steeping stones, at full leg stretch while crouching. The only other way was waist deep murky water to the exit.
The night walk was once again called off but I managed to exchange for a night safari. In an open back jeep it was like being back in Kruger NP. Every so offen we stop to see Slouth Monkeys, Wild Cats and Snakes. These snakes were upto 3m long and not very welcoming to strangers in the jungle at night. The rain came but it didn't stop us on our search for more animals of the night. A great way to round off my time in the Malaysian Rainforest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb