Attack of the Leech


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
November 17th 2006
Published: November 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Cameron Highlands at 9am, we arrived in Kuala Tahan, Taman Negara National Park at 5pm. It was a long mini bus ride but worth it to see the scenery. We arrived at Kuala Tahan and saw that it was nothing more than a street with some hostels/guesthouses overlooking floating restaurants on the Tembeling river. It was low season and hardly anyone around. It was hard to find people to do activities and is why we were only able to do a 4hour hike and the canopy walkway.

Halfway through our tour, our guide finds a leech and shows everyone what it looks like and goes on to explain about the foot long leech in Malaysia. But not to worry it only feeds on the metre long earthworm in Borneo he reassures us. Everything's bigger in Borneo he says. The scene from Stand By Me enters my head and paranoia sets in. I am checking my legs every second and was about to just forget about it, but sure enough, there's a little bloodsucker on my ankle. Leeches 1, Blaine 0.

To wrap things up, Jamie wouldn't let us sleep out in a hide so I didn't see any tigers or elephants. Jamie 1, Blaine 0. We did see a lot of monkeys and lizards though.

So after 2 nights there, we decided to take the boat down the river 2 hrs and catch the train from there to Singapore at 2:20am. We arrived at the station at 2am to learn that their were engine problems and we wouldn't leave until 5am. Finally at 6am, the train comes and we boarded our 7hour train to Singapore. After sleeping on a couch and outside waiting for our train for 4 hours, we learned the hard way that you should pay the extra 2 dollars and get sleepers. So after a few days in Singapore we are heading to the Borneo side of Malaysia and to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu. Good travels

Advertisement



17th November 2006

Hilarious! That reminds me of the spider in Saigon - you wouldn't go to sleep until you had vanquished it from the room.
19th November 2006

those were cockroaches and they were huge. u know they were
20th November 2006

Ahhhh Memories
Hey guys! Sounds like youre having a great time... I'm jealous.... hee hee Jamie wait for Borneo to see some REAL bugs... have fun!!! Miss you guys!
22nd November 2006

Who would win in a fight...a tigre or a buffalo??
22nd November 2006

Maybe Willy could use one of those blood sucker to "let" some of the poison out of his system! Blair played with Tampa Bay last night against Buffalo.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb