The Cameron Highlands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
September 10th 2010
Published: September 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After stepping off the bus around 10pm the first thing that hit us was the cold air. For the first time in almost 4 months we were cold and realised we were inappropriately dressed and in desperate need of socks and jackets, so accommodation was hastily found in the form of twin pines chalet. After sampling yet again more excellent indian food it was off to bed to prepare for some trekking the following day. Upon waking up we found that the weather was amazing, so we quickly got ready and went for an indian breakfast. Armed with our map, compass and days supply of food and water we ventured off the beaten track and wandered into the thick jungle valleys and peaks of the cameron highlands. The trek was very hard although very rewarding, bypassing various waterfalls and forging our way through almost impenetratable jungle... rounding the day off with a very rewarding and deserved pot of tea overlooking one of the many tea plantations. On return to the chalet we quickly showered and headed out for more indian food and warm cups of horlicks.... the food and drinks were so amazing here (alam bazzar) that we returned here everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The next day we decided to test our orientation skills and hiking ability to the limit and headed for a unmaintained and treacherous route through the dense jungle plagued by landslides and fallen trees blocking the way. Heading away from the well trodden tourist trail was amazing as the sounds of howling monkeys and strange creatures echoed through the jungle. Yet again, at the end of the days trekking we were in need of some more potent indian food, so we headed back to alam bazzar where the waiters kept coming back and topping up our plates with various meats and sauces seeing as we were such loyal customers. The next two days here were spent relaxing and visiting local museums and various strawberry and tea plantations in the area, not to mention drinking our own weight in tea and coffee (at 18p for a big mug), along with playing many games of scrabble, chinese checkers and battleships with other tourists back at the chalets.
Feeling satisfied that we had seen what the highlands had to offer, we decided to move on and pay a visit to the Taman Negara national park.. we've heard so much about this place from travellers coming from there to the highlands that we decided it was a must for our travel itinerary. As there are no roads directly to Taman Negara, the only way to get deep into this rainforest is via boat, so the appropriate travel measures were taken and tickets purchased and we were soon on our way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 21; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb