Cool Running's


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
March 31st 2010
Published: March 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

CAMERON HIGHLANDS

After a very comfortable five hour journey we arrive at Tanah Rata, a cute little town in the Cameron Highlands, we get off and jump into the obligatory white minibus, which whisks us away to Fathers guesthouse, a little bit of heaven. The climate up here is a lot cooler, wow what a difference!

The posh rooms in the guest house were all full when we booked, so we got cheaper room in the sheds at the bottom of the garden (it was half the price!) Great, although the walls were pretty thin, they were very airy and comfortable. The dorm’s were in this area as well and they looked very good value for money too. No bunks in sight, yeah!

Every one was really friendly and loads of people came up to us offering there suggestions as to where to eat tonight! We dropped our bags and as the in house restaurant was closed we walked down to the town, we had a quick look around then headed to the Indian restaurant ’Sri Brinchang’ which came highly recommended. Charlotte had a Chicken Tikka and Garlic naan, Liam indulged in the same, but with a butter naan instead. We got to eat it with our hands, which felt good, although the red dye does get under your finger nails! Yummy, Beer and Lychee juice to go with it!

After dinner we walked down and looked into some of the shops before passing a couple of reflexology shops. One of the older Chinese lady’s grabbed us and dragged us in, well why not go with the flow! It was only 35 Ringgit for a 45 min reflexology, so we both indulged. Heaven! Charlottes lady was very good and told her everything she was doing and what was not quite right! Very accurate, she even knew we had only just eaten. Unfortunately Liam’s one had very bad English, so did not tell him anything, but it was a nice foot rub and massage nether the less!

We had a relaxing day the next day having a Chinese lunch in the town and a wander around the shops before heading back to the hostel and booking a half day tour for the next day, we also decided to extend our stay here as it was so peaceful. We chill axed, played on the computer and messed around all day having a supper at the hostel restaurant and a few beers.

We were up early to go on the Half day tour and jumped into rather a posh minibus with high backed seats! We said hello to our fellow travellers, who were a Swiss lad and an Italian guy. We had to pick up a few others a couple form in the town and a few more from a posh hotel 20 mins away.

The first stop on our little tour is the Tea plantation and what a lovely sight it is all of those rolling hills of patchwork green. We were lucky enough to see workers out picking the leaves. It is all modern these days and they either use shears with an Hoover thing attached or a big hedge trimmer thing with bag attached between two people!

When we arrived at the plantation we went on a factory tour which was all really interesting, before heading down to the modern, plush and swanky plantation café/tea room, which was hanging out over the fields giving wonderful views, as per photos. Charlotte indulged in a pot of loose leave tea for one and Liam was going to have a sprite (Not really a tea man), but the machine was out of order! Charlotte drank the tea, but was not really convinced! No conversion there then!

We stopped on the way up the hill at a little service road for some photos, then was back in the bus to our next destination. A Honey bee (yes Elen we looked, but could not get the sign!) farm, we were again lucky as they were opening up some of the bee hives when we went for a walk around the garden.

The next stop was just up the road in the Butterfly farm, where we got to hold all manor of creepy crawlies, some on sticks and some in our hands! However Charlotte did draw the line at the Scorpion, Liam did have two on his arm, but one fell off and was put back in the cage! On the way out we were given time in the Butterfly enclosure where we got some amazing shots.

Next stop, up the road again to the Strawberry farm, where the guide explained that because of the temperate climate they can grow strawberry’s all year around here, they are grown in grow bags of coconut husks that are raised up off of the ground and have a constant water drip system. We tried out the produce in the form of a Strawberry shake and a pot of dried strawberry’s.

Up the hill and around the corner, before going down again to the Rose centre, well what can a bunch of roses show us! Well it was not just roses, it was a whole heap of flowers going up the hill to the peak with great views over the valley. This was the ideal opportunity for us to practice our close up shot’s with the cameras! Also there were these weird concrete statues every where, quite funny really.

A couple flying off that afternoon let us then in a taxi, before we dropped off the older couple, who were by now a bit tired form walking up and down all of the steps, to the posh hotel. The rest of us headed off to look at the local temple, which was quite modern and a nice introduction to the Far East. By the time we got back to the hostel it was way beyond the suggested 4 ½ hours, it was more like 6/7 hours! Great value for our money.

We had a couple more days chill axing eating locally, window shopping, chilling out at the hostel, drinking beer & watching the films in the evening and sampling the local speciality, warm scones with strawberry jam and cream (whipped not clotted!). We planned to do a couple of walks, but just never really got around to it! All too soon we were jumping back on the bus (just VIP this time, 4 seats in a row, but great leg room!) to Butterworth. So we could get the ferry to Penang.





Additional photos below
Photos: 122, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb