we're in the jungle, help!!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
October 21st 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

so we've arrived in Malaysia after having spent 3 days in Singapore.
i quite liked singapore but i don't think it will be on my top list. ok the city is very clean and well organised but it's also quite strict in the sense that u're not allowed to do anything or u get fined.
no smoking, no chewing-gum, so spitting, no crossing the road out the lines or it;s $100 each time.

we took a bus on saturday to go to a small city called Melaka and i loved it so much that we ended up staying 3days instead of 1.
people are so nice, always talking to you and asking you where u're from. all of them make the effort to speak a bit of yr language and i was so impressed that they knew lots of french. guess what, one malay guy was in fact supporting Marseille football team.

this city has so much history, with all the Dutch, Portugese and French who took it over more than 400years ago, and you can see all the differents cultures mixing together.
there;s no racism here, it's like a melting-pot, with the english language being the link. people are chinese, malay or indian, and are either buddhist, muslim or hindu and everyone is respectful of the differents religions.

off the station we took a taxi and the driver said that his dream was to see the snow and that made me realise that we take so many thinks for granted, so he sent his daughter to university hoping that one day she'll be able to make him see the snow.
To show you how stupid and shallow we, western peole can be, we went straight to the huge mall next to our guest-house to do shopping and eat at pizza hut.
we thought that we would have time to visit the city the day after. ufortunately it rained the whole day so we didn.t have anything left to do except shopping. now we'll know that when it's sunny, we should enjoy it.
it's monsoon season till november, so it's been raining at least once a day and i can tell you that i'm very pissed off, the 1st thing i packed away in london was my umbrella and i'm gonna have to buy one here!

we stayed in a lovely guest-house, we paid less than 2 pounds a night.
there we met lots of people from everywhere, a thai man who was in his 60s and had travelled everywhere in the world, lots of malays, 2 americans women i their 50s, travelling everywhere in Asia, austrian and american guys, and 2 aussie girls.
one of them ate some bad food i guess, because she stayed 6days in a hospital so we've been a bit paranoid since them and i feel terrible to say that we ate pizza hut and burger king when the food on the street looked disgusting.

we haven;t swimm yet, as we've visited cities only but we found a olympic swimming pool in Melaka, which was funny when u think that the city is as small as an area in london.

so we left this town on tuesday and went to Kuala Lumpur, the capitale, and my friend will tell you that it sucks.
i liked it as i'm a city girl but it thought it would be better.
this is a really noisy, stinky city and people aren't so nice, they just jump on you when you get off the bus to check if you need a taxi or a room and they can be aggressive and rude.
we've seen big rats and huge cockroaches, runing just next to our feet, it was gross.
lots of people told us that they snatch your bag ang camera on the street, luckily no one annoyed us, and there's no way i will let them snatch my camera!

we stayed in the best part of the city called the golden triangle, where u can find all the restaurants, clubs and malls, and we were very closed to the petronas twins towers, the tallest towers in the world, much nicer than empire state bulding.

food wasn't really nice, lots of street food waiting for you for i don't know how long, but we ate libanese and the traditionnal malay curry and it was great.
chinatown was huge and very dirty, but i bought some puma for less than 10 pounds so that was a good deal.
we went out clubbing the last night and people really know how to enjoy themself, there were lots of chinese and they were so nice.

so nothing much to say about KL, we stayed only 2nights and we took a bus yesterday to go to Cameron Highlands, closed to Ipoh, it's a mix of tea plantations, hills and forests.
the journey was nearly 5hours, going up the mountains, it was turning so much i was going to be sick, but we arrived late at night and the hotel is really nice. it's in the middle of the forest, we met lots of nice people, all of them from england, but there;s one thing that's bothering me, it;s full of snakes, so i can't walk out there, i'll die if i see one next to me.
we're not even paying 1 pound for the room, but we're 12 in the same room.
everyone is motivating me to walk with them saying they'll kill the snakes for me so we'll see later if i can be brave enough, so watch this space!




Advertisement



22nd October 2005

adventure
Salut Marjo, Tu n'es parti que depuis quelques jours seulement est déjà tu es devenu indiana jones au féminin! Bon courage et pleins de bisous... Alice et Greg

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb