Cameron Highlands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
September 16th 2005
Published: September 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A view from the busA view from the busA view from the bus

Away from the city centres some of the structures are still pretty basic.

Getting out - Cameron Islands


After my one day of exploring KL I decided that I had probably had enough of the big smoke (literally) and on the adivice of fellow travellers, decided to head to the Cameron Highlands. The bus trip as long and a large proportion of it was travelling through the rainforest which covers something like 85%!o(MISSING)f Malaysia. It was good to see the level of development decreasing away from the city centres.

A couple of thousand meters up the highlands offer a more temperate climate suitable for chilling out, for growing and for drinking tea.

The weather up in the Cameron Islands was beautiful. The continuous sunshine kept the place warm and it was dry enough that you didn't really sweat unless undergoing some kind of physical exertion.

On arriving at the accomodation I was staying at, I joined some South Africans for a game of Hacky (Good to be doing something familiar).

Adventure Experience


For the following day I decided to go on a tour with the three South Africans. The one day adventure tour consisted of a visit to one of the highest points in the area for a view
Local activitiesLocal activitiesLocal activities

Some of the locals enjoying a game in the park. A cross between mini golf and croquet
of the forest. This was followed by a quick tour into the bush a trip to the tea plantations and then a 4WD trip and walk through the jungle to a great little waterfall. We also were lucky to see a particular flower blooming that is recognised as the 2nd largest flower in the world. Oh yeah and we visited a local village where they gave a play with blow darts. I found that if I had to try and catch my dinner this way I would have gone hungry!

After a long day in the sun we were all ready for a bit of a break and a drink. The South African boys did not require much encouragment and soon appeared in their drinking uniforms (Matching bright pink T-shirts, and yellow hats). A couple of rounds of four kings was enough to really get them going. An ongoing chorus of some Zulu tribal song was started and continued right through the night. A great night was had by all with the only injury (luckily) being a stubbed toe. That is unless you count the hangovers suffered by everyone (although somehow I managed to escape this).

Sunday strolling

The Tea FieldsThe Tea FieldsThe Tea Fields

Rajah, our local adventure guide and bush specialist explains the details of the tea trade

On the following day, I disappeared on my own to explore some of the local walking trails marked in the lonely planet guide. Unfortunately the amount of development in the area has left some of the maps a little out of date, and after treking for an hour or so in the bush I confirmed to myself that I really wasn't on the track I thought I was. It was still a nice trip though and good to see some local wildlife(especially since I didn't see any on the organised trip). The plant types in the forest were very familar with ferns and flax variations. I think if one day I was magically transported into that forest I could easily confuse it with a NZ forest in Summer.

Anyway it was time to go and have some lunch before getting back on the bus to head back to KL. KL was hot as when I left it but at least I was starting to get a hold on the geography of the city. In the hostel I was lucky enough to meet some backpackers who gifted me a viatnamese sim card for my phone. So if anyone wants to
Blow dartsBlow dartsBlow darts

Alex (aka cuddles) takes aim with the blow dart. Lucky we didn't have to catch our own food or most of us would have gone hungry.
text the number is 0919630718 although I'm not sure how that works from phones in NZ.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

4WD4WD
4WD

Getting to some of the activities was an experience in itself, speed limits and centre lines and sealed roads not required


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb