Highland hopping


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
September 8th 2005
Published: September 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

'T', 'T', Everywhere'T', 'T', Everywhere'T', 'T', Everywhere

It's a tea plantation
We left KL 5 nights on from arriving with no more to show from our visit than a 'Tag' watch and clean clothes (well to be fair, the photo of the petronas towers was nice). We enjoyed our time there if for no other reason than we felt relaxed, my stomach was getting better and Gills ear infection appeared to be getting better also. The next stop we'd decided upon was the Cameron Highlands. With it's cool mountain air and green slopes it was something to look forward to after the dirt and smell of the big city.

The next stage seemed easy enough; we turned up to get a bus - which was full, so got the next one - an hour later. Turned up at Fathers guest house and found a room which wasn't perfect but ok (moved to the room we wanted the next day). A note on Fathers guest house - the name seemed apt. Perhaps for the right reasons we felt the control was a little 'parental'. With quiet hours from 10pm till 7am (our choice would have been from midnight to 9.30am) and the evening movie playing from 7.30pm to 10ish (which someone had to pay 5rm for), it all brought the evening to an end a little sooner than people would like. To be fair there was an area at the back of the place - out of earshot - where you can sit and socialise 'till late'. The problem here was that the reception, and only place to buy beer or soft drinks, closed at ten also. Apart from these small issues, and the really grumpy cook who had a 'moo-ey' fit anytime you asked for something she didn't want to cook, the place is really nice and clean. You might say it's a 'middle class suburbia' home away from home.

We felt that after our unproductive time in KL (semi unproductive) we should do stuff. That evening we signed up for a full day of 'Highland hopping' for the next day.

We jumped in the land rover at 8.50am the next morning for our first event - the tea plantation. They were nice; lots of tea! Then it was a walk in the mossy forest with a guide pointing out poisonous plants, medicinal plants, carnivorous plants and other stuff. This part was a little slow but had some interesting
More tea?More tea?More tea?

Did you know - these tea bushes are over 100 years old.
information, like how to kill someone using bamboo (although it takes about 6 months). After this we went to the tea factory - we know way too much about tea now.

The afternoon was more the highlight of the day with the visit to the 'Orang Asli', the original inhabitants of Malaysia. We rallied through the forest to reach one of the most traditional style villages that could be visited by tourists - and it was. Our only misgiving was the request that we take treats for the children. It wasn't the idea of gift giving with which we felt uneasy (that would be mean), it was that of 15 tourists all turning up with a bags of sugary, E-number filled sweets on a daily (maybe even twice daily) basis to give to these little aboriginals.

It was great to visit the village, although as before there was a lot of 'filling' in the itinerary, with only a portion of it being 'villagy'. We met the chief (wearing a yellow sweater and combat patterned shorts. We ate their tapioca, the root version not the dessert, and tried durians - a spiky fruit that tastes like shit (or smells
Tea pickersTea pickersTea pickers

How much tea could a tea picker pick if a tea picker could pick tea (apparently about 90Kg a day).
like it- it's hard to say). The best bit was being taught, and using, their traditional blow pipe. It is surprising how fast and accurate these meter and a half pipes can spit a dart. With the potent poison applied to the tip bambi wouldn't stand a chance.

It was a good day followed by today - a sorting, sending and organising day which will be followed by tomorrows leaving and traveling day. If the plan works out we will be heading for Taman Negara, one of the oldest rainforests on the planet. We will be accompanied by the people we traveled up from KL with, which makes for a happy trip across country on the 'jungle train'.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Pitcher plantPitcher plant
Pitcher plant

Carniverous plant which drugs, drowns then digests insects (and small animals)!
Strange yellow plantStrange yellow plant
Strange yellow plant

Have no factual information to share
Blow - pipe demonstrationBlow - pipe demonstration
Blow - pipe demonstration

By the Chief (in traditional dress)


13th September 2005

Nicely put...
Re: Fathers Guest House. That's how things felt to me as well - a little too controlled, but then there are places for partying - like Koh Pha Ngan - and places for visiting Tea Plantations.

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0821s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb