Shiver me timbers


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
November 21st 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've moved a little further south, approximately a 2 hour bus drive from Kuala Lumpur. The journey from KL was fascinating as we we were located directly behind the coach driver. We heard stories that the Malaysians were wild when it coms to driving, and the journey proved just that theory. We witnessed 3 cars, badly battered, lying in the ditch off the main road. Our fears were compounded by the torrential rain outpours, but the driver didn't seem too concerned as he weaved his way through the traffic. Much to our amusement, the rest of the passengers seemed oblivious and were sound asleep.

Our hostel is located in the new part of the city, right beside a supermarket and cinema, where we watched the new Bond film. You can't seem to get normal popcorn over here at the cinema, very disappointing. Speaking of food, we have been very bad lately scoffing fast-food. McDonalds seems to be on nearly every corner, in every town, we've visited.

On our second day, we ventured around the town. Melaka is a very pretty town with lots of history. The town has been colonised by the Portuguese, Dutch and the British. It used to be a famous port and trading town. We visited the interesting Maritime Museumn which is housed on a replica of a Portuguese galleon. Other interesting sights included St. Paul's Church where Francis Xavier was buried before resting in Goa.

Today we visited the beautiful old town where China-town is located. We did a tour of the Baba and Nyonya Heritage Museum. Baba (masculine) and Nyonya (feminine) are actually off springs of inter-racial marriages which generally is the marriage between a Chinese male and a native non-Muslim female. The result of this marriage are known as Straits Chinese and it has a unique variety of attires, language, customs and as well as architectures. The Museum was very pretty and our hostess very amusing and witty. We strolled among the pretty shops admiring the quaint architecture. Earlier we had a fantastic Malaysian meal in Bests cafe, we didn't really get to sample much Malaysian food which was a pity as we often chose to eat Thai food. Melaka, is certainly a place where you could spend sometime. It has a relaxed vibe and plenty of distractions.

Amy finally braved up and visited the hairdresser today. She is very pleased with her new barnet, Curly Sue. She has been threatening to cut her hair for a long time but was scared of the outcome.

Onwards to Singapore.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

St. Pauls ChurchSt. Pauls Church
St. Pauls Church

This is the place where SFX (St Francis Xavier to those, like me who may not know what that stands for) was originally burried. We pounded Melacca in the heat in search of a ruined church which PREVIOUSLY housed the great man??? Ed is a little obsessed with the Jesuits due to his schooling. BTW he is now buried in Goa.
Guinness is good for youGuinness is good for you
Guinness is good for you

Guinness stout is very popular in Malaysia, surprisingly.
No Blinking- the 10 yard stareNo Blinking- the 10 yard stare
No Blinking- the 10 yard stare

Ever since a passport photo shoot in Phnom Penh we have discovered Ed tends to blink 100 times a minute when a camera is around...therefore now all photos of him now tend to be madmanish in an attempt to keep his eyes open.


Tot: 3.076s; Tpl: 1.124s; cc: 19; qc: 84; dbt: 0.3688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb