Langkawi - island paradise


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
January 24th 2015
Published: February 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

24/1-15: Arrived in Kuala Perlis around 6 in the morning at got on the 7 am ferry which took around 50 mins. I slept all the way.
Got a teksi (thats just how they write taxi there) to Rainbow Lodge on the west coast and got a couple of rooms for 50 RM.
Nice relaxed place, the Turkish chef started talking Danish to us by surprise, he had lived in Denmark for 40 years.
Next thing we hurried to the beach where I could not stay awake at all and slept most of the day in between some nice swims.
We had dinner at a nice restaurant right on the beach, a big bbq plate for 30 RM with some fresh fruit for dessert while watching the sunset and listening to live music from next door.
I can get used to this island life thing. We walked around town for a while, a bit of a tourist hole but with a scooter we should be able to find some more ecxiting stuff!

25/1-15: Managed to sleep all night and morning and got up at 10.
Then some light breakfast and changing rooms to a nicer bungalow with terrace at noon.
After that we decided to take another chill day at the beach, only interrupted by some lunch at a really chill reggae place near our bungalows with super good food.
In the evening we talked a bit with our Australian neighbours who were retired and now living around in different places in Asia. They were big fans of Malaysia and the people here.
We had some nice pizza for dinner from an Algerian guy who used to live at Garda Lake in Italy, really nice dinner. Then some more walking around town before going to bed.
26/1-15: Went for breakfast at our new favourite reggae restaurant. After that we rented scooters and went to the northern part of the island where we found HORSES! A new breed I didnt know about - Malysian-Arab purebred.
But of course the place was closed on Mondays so instead we went up to the Seven Wells waterfall which was awesome! You could use the rocks as waterslides and half way up you could jump in as well.
After that we found some good garlic chicken lunch and then chilled at a small rocky beach with almost no people. On the way back we met some really sweet monkeys, more shy and not aggresive like the rest we have seen in Asia.
In the evening we went into the city to check ferry time tables. We found a small amusement park as well where we tried a roller coaster - feeling like little kids again on vacation with their parents.
When we came back we had a late burger at the reggae place again before going to bed.

27/1-15: Another chill day, nice breakfast at the reggae place. Went to the beach, walked around a bit, found some washed up squids and a funny looking little fish that looked like it had plastic stuck over it's little mouth.
In the evening we had some pizza at our favourite Italian guys place and walked around - nothing much but tourists and plastic things for sale.

28/1-15: Rented scooters again. Went to the horsie place but riding was too pricy, walked around and played around with the horses and foals. Found an American woman who had volunteered there for 10 years, they just gave her a horse as thanks and she was washing him and taking care of him since he had just been gelded.
She was very energetic for whatever her age was and now lived on a boat with her husband by the harbour there. She once spent 3 weeks sleeping in a hammock in the roundpen waiting for a foal to come, because the first one had died on her.
After that we went to a pretty little beach, skull beach. On the way we drove through some very pretty rain forrest areas.
After that we headed up to another nice beach where we had a late lunch and chilled by the beach before the sunset.

29/1-15: Very tired after waking up with a cockroach in bed. Reggae breakfast again. Chill on beach. Swim. Sleep. Eat. Repeat. Walk. Chill.
We went to night market for dinner, lots of peoples and very very hot but at least authentic and local. We walked around town and some foot massage.
We were not able to make up our minds on where to go next, people dont recommend too much time on Penang.
30/1-15: Reggae breakfast once again, talked to Tommee who has his garden there and he invited us to come hear him play his guitar in the evening. He is originally from Indonesia but moved and travelled around a lot for his music.
Then we took the scooters out to see if we could find better horsebaclkriding. We found a couple of places but the horses where not in the best of conditions and we decided not to make them carry us aorund all day.
Found a little piece of heaven by some hotsprings, almost looked like a savannah when you looked out over the landscape there.
After that some chilling at the north on the beach. All of the sudden everyone was talking about an eagle that was sitting close by. Might have been a younger one, it didn't seem like it could fly and it didn't have a lot of tail feathers.
We headed back and on the way there we found a group of maybe 30-40 young boys racing their bikes and doing tricks on the main road. Later the police came and chased them away, they dissapeared to all sides hiding behind houses but they caught one of them so he was fined around 300 RM.
We had Indian food again for dinner - I love how many different types of Asian food you can find here. After that we met up with Tommee and followed him to Jam Rock on the next beach on small dirt roads.
It was a really nice chill place and Tommee played so good music; some of it in his native language tso we didn't understand all of it. 31/1-15: Didn't sleep much again, this time a drunk tourist thought he lived in our room and him and his friend sat on our terrace and they were having quite some trouble getting him out of there.
Then a short morning scooter ride with dad, found even more new small spots we didn't know where here along the beach.
Then last day chilling at the beach on Langkawi. Packing in the evening and chilling with the cats at the hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb