Langkawi --Not exactly what we expected


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
March 4th 2012
Published: March 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Asia Best Pics 162Asia Best Pics 162Asia Best Pics 162

Air Asia's slogan is "Where everyone can fly" Super cheap flights around Asia.
Logan and I traved by Asia Air to Langkawi a couple of days ago. Langkawi is off the coast of Penang and a short (one hour) ferry ride to Thialand. It is visited by one million guests each year and we had read all about how beautiful the beaches are and how wonderful the accomodations are. It was much more expensive than many of the hotels we had booked throughout the trip, but we figured it was probably a case of "get what you pay for", so we went for it, hoping for beautiful white sand and blue waters. Not the case.



It is beautiful. The island is lush and the resort was fancy, but we were disappointed to find the water was not swimmable due to abundant jellyfish and the beaches were fairly restrictlve. Many are private and unless you are a guest, you are out of luck. We did enjoy was the people of Langkawi. We did not encounter one unfriendly soul. They were so fun to talk to, each with a interesting story and big smile to share an it was not the typical smoozy tourist trap kindness.



We stayed at the
Asia Best Pics 165Asia Best Pics 165Asia Best Pics 165

Welcome to Langkawi
Danna Hotel which was nice, but a bit out of our demographic. The people who tend to stay there are retired and enjoy hanging out by the pool day after day, not that I don't appreciate that from time to time.

We had a wonderful beach side dinner a place called Casa del Mar. We tried to get a reservation there when we were booking and were even sadder when we realized how cool it is. They only have 20-30 rooms and it's so quaint and wonderful. If you are heading to Langkawi, book in advance for this place.



We also decided to treat ourselves to a massage at this place called V spa which is in the Andaman Hotel. The massage (a wave massage) was so-so, but the veiw was spectacular. The beach in the background is one of the private ones that non-guest cannot use.



We also had some terrific food. I don't think there is such thing as bad food in Malaysia. We are flying back to Singapore tomorrow to meet up with kids and head to Rawa Island, Malaysia for a couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Asia Best Pics 191Asia Best Pics 191
Asia Best Pics 191

Our Massage House
Asia Best Pics 193Asia Best Pics 193
Asia Best Pics 193

Pesky Monkeys
Asia Best Pics 196Asia Best Pics 196
Asia Best Pics 196

Beach Dinner At Casa del Mar


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb