Malaysia - Peninsular Malaysia/Borneo


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
February 20th 2010
Published: March 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Langkawi!

This is a fabulous island in nothern Malaysia. The people are a local Malay, Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern. Heavy Muslim presence. It's the Canada of Southeast asia. Needless to say the food is incredible, and eat seafood daily. We even bought a Wok so we can cook our own fresh seafood on the beach. This combined with the Satay chicken, fresh pineapple and cheap prices makes eating an event every day.

The nicest part about this country other then the beachfront villa for 40 cdn dollars a day is the people. They don't hound you when you walk down the street as in many tourist based countries. Bali was nice, but constantly being baraged by locals wears thin. Langkawi is much different. You seek things rather then be seeked.

Drove (not rode as planned) in a diesel truck from Kuala Lumpur to the border of Thailand and went Island hopping from there.

I met up with another soldier from Afghanistan early in the trip (Jamey) and flew down to Borneo. What a place, the guide describes it as "The earth on steriods". They aren't far off! Rented a car and drove to Sabah, the north eastern tip near Indonesia and went to an area world famous for diving, the Sipidan.

The diving there was like being in an aquarim with fish like pieces of art!

All is well and tour is almost coming to an end, it was clawed back to 6 months and were home in Canada by May. The weather is getting hot hot hot! Heading out to drive a Leopard 2 tank today, wow!

Take care

Blane Reynolds




Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

3 hour Cruise3 hour Cruise
3 hour Cruise

Met up with Canadians and South Africans plus some missing in the picture in Langkawi, we were neighbours and spent about a week together.
Tram Tram
Tram

Up too the hills of the Jungle in Langkawi
Langkawi JungleLangkawi Jungle
Langkawi Jungle

Canopy Walkway
HayaaaHayaaa
Hayaaa

Temple built on the side of a mountain in a remote area of a jungle, Jamie in a text book karate chop
BorneoBorneo
Borneo

Gung Hei Fat Choy!! (Chinese New hear)
VillaVilla
Villa

My home for a week, in a tourist area in Langkawi, 40 bucks a night!!
Cheap FoodCheap Food
Cheap Food

2.50 USD, and delicous
Motorbiking on BeachMotorbiking on Beach
Motorbiking on Beach

I was even starting to feel a little guilty ripping down the beach on dirtbikes as they are loud and people were trying to enjoy the nice day
Family PhotoFamily Photo
Family Photo

This area had no White people, so everyone wants a picture with the white guy!
UniformsUniforms
Uniforms

The servers at a Restaurant


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb