Day Twenty - Langkawi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
January 9th 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Penang to Langkawi


Day Twenty - Searing Sun, Sweeping Sea-Eagles and Succulent Steak



Up bright and early was a shock to Leanne & Shannon but we soon bundled them down to the lobby to the awaiting taxi. As we were driving to the airport, the island was rousing with workers jumping into trucks alongside the road.

After some airport indulgence at Starbucks to wake us up, we boarded the plane and took our short 30-minute flight to Langkawi. As we came into land we could see some of the 99 islands glisten in the sun and with the pilot telling us the ground temperature was 32*, we looked at the beaches eagerly.

Our guesthouse on Langkawi was a delight. Greeted by Niamh, a spritely Dubliner who was wonderfully crazy and funny, we were able to check in early to one room and ditch our bags. Changed we got some breakfast and a rubber donut for Leanne and hit the beach.

We got there through a resort and took up station at the end of their section. The water was lovely although the sand was red hot under the unforgiving sun. We got chatting with a couple from Dorset who spent the last 15 years coming to Langkawi. The woman would be there for 3 months at a time, lucky her.

In the sea, Leanne was hunting hermit crabs and in the air, sea eagles swooped overhead. Langkawi means ‘strong eagle’ and there were loads of them about. Massive and mighty they swooped into trees attacking smaller birds.

After a few hours, we returned to our guesthouse and picked up the other room key. We settled in the bar with Niamh for a while enjoying her craic and knocked back a few Tigers before heading next door to Sheela’s restaurant.

This was owned by a German/Australian couple and was simply wonderful. It seemed aimed at Europeans and took a fine dining approach. As it was Saturday night, I had a great big T-Bone with all the trimmings after a delicious sup starter (as recommended by Brian on the beach earlier). We followed this up with desserts, the full monty.

Leanne entertained us until the bill came and as I went to loo afterwards I found a frog in the cistern. The girls went to take pictures of it as I chatted to the owner. They place was beautifully laid out, the staff were great and the food was a taste of home.

Needless to say, it didn’t take time to plan for tomorrow... ...beach it is then.

Today’s Highlights Niamh; Sea Eagles; and a great Saturday night out with the family.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



1st February 2010

Langkawei is really wonderful
On Jan.10,2010, I arrived at Langkawei via Kuala Lumpur and Alor Star by air and ferry. Seems you came there by firefly. And you were in Penang before?
1st February 2010

getting to langkawi
Yeah, we flew from Penang. Our original plan was to take the ferry from phuket via ko phi phi and possibly ko muk to ko lipe but few folk had said how it was on and off so we hopped to langkawi from phuket via penang

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb