The Lovely Langkawi - 25th to 30th November 2008


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
December 1st 2008
Published: April 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After arriving in Langkawi and finding somewhere to stay (AB Motel - cold shower - not accustomed to these yet), we went looking for an alternative (with a warm shower) and found a resort called Langkapuri Beach Resort, with little bungalows on the beach, one of which we could have in a couple of days time (it was very busy in Langkawi due to the kids being off school - how inconvenient). After our wee mission we went and got some lunch on the beach and had a chat with a fella called Bingo, who tried to sell us a tour. That night we went to Debbie's, a little Irish bar, got drunk and ate pizza and a burger.

Next day we hired a car (woo hoo!) and drove all the way to the airport to buy the Thai Lonely Planet. We then went to a place called Oriental Village, which was rather tacky and had a cable car up the mountain (which we didn't bother with). After some lunch we headed over to Seven Wells Waterfall, which is a waterfall that has seven pools with really big smooth rocks that you can slide down. We got chatting to a Welsh couple called Matt and Sophia and arranged to meet them later in Debbie's for some drinks. Because we had the car, that night we drove into town to a fish restaurant, which was a sort of fish farm too, so you could catch (and then eat!) your own fish. We arrived to find it closed, so headed back home to eat around there. We ended up seeing Matt and Sophia on our way to eat, so they joined us for a fish supper (red snapper - yum), then we went to Debbie's as planned. Matt and Sophia taught us how to play Poo Head (hee), a card game that would keep us entertained to this day!

The day after we took the car back and got stung with a 30RM "fine" for a scratch which we're pretty sure we didn't do. 30RM is nothing really, but it was almost as much as what it cost us to hire the damn car in the first place, so it was frustrating - never mind. We checked into our new abode and spent a day on the beach, playing frisbie and the like. That night we ate at a restaurant called Rasa and had Grandfather chicken curry and ayam bakar (BBQ chicken). As it is a Muslim resort, when we asked for beer, our waiter had to go out to the shop and buy us some, and sneak it in to us in a brown paper bag!!

On our fourth day we did the island hopping tour (which Bingo had tried to sell us), where we went out in a boat for the morning to various islands and the Lake of the Pregnant Maiden. It was a dull, cloudy, rainy day, so it wasn't the best weather for it. We saw some eagles and sat on the beach with our umbrella up. The boat trip back was horrendous, but quite funny. We were sat at the front and the waves were so big every time we hit one we bounced out of our seats and came crashing back down, which nearly broke our bums!! That afternoon we decided to hide from the rain in Underwater World, the aquarium. In the evening we had a Chinese feast, and a starter called salad bread, which was slices of baguette with a prawn mixture on top - very tasty.

We spent our last day on the beach, then left the day after for Koh Lanta - in THAILAND!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Pregnant Lady LakePregnant Lady Lake
Pregnant Lady Lake

Marissa didn't go in.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb