Laidback Langkawi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Malaysia is a somewhat strange experience in that it seems like a weird combination of both Thailand/ Eastern culture and good ole Blighty! A little bit more developed than Thailand, it was bizarre to travel on roads with proper signs and traffic lights - for one minute, we closed our eyes and thought we were travelling up the A38!
We stayed in the Pantai Cenang area (in line with our limited budget) and poor Geen had the pleasure of finding us somewhere to stay due to my still being out of action from the bout of food poisoning. Having worked her way along the beach checking out various dubious establishments, we checked in to the AB Motel - another Lonely Planet recommendation - for 60 ringgit a night (12 quid a room).
The beach here is something else - I know I seem to keep banging on about the beautiful beaches at each place we go, but this truly is a long expanse of powder white sand, with waves that knock you for 6!
Along the beach there are loads of expensive resorts and being the cheeky chancers that we are, we blagged our way in to a 5 star (cant remember the name) to use their pool and pretend for just a moment that we were Paris and Nicole! Ha ha!
Joined by our friend, Debbie, we met a great taxi driver called Mizzi who acted as our own personal lil chauffeur and took us out around the island for the day, going on the cable car, a water fall, visiting a beach with black sand and generally taking us wherever we wanted to go, which inevitably meant that we landed up in a cake shop! We also had a looky at the Four Seasons Hotel - another 5 star place with extensive grounds and overprivileged sods (jealous, moi?) lounging by the pool, cocktails in hand. Naturally, there were many a photo taken here, with us lording it up again!
We went on an island hopping tour, but the weather was rubbish and therefore it was not as good as it could have been. However, the highlight of the trip - and one, which I am sad to say I missed - was that Geen got up close and personal with a wild monkey after he decided to launch himself at her, leaving a muddy paw print on her skirt! Traumatic though this must have been, our brave girl took it all in her stride. Gotta say it was the subject of much hilarity for the rest of the day though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Gina 095Gina 095
Gina 095

Yes I am suited to this life!
Gina 098Gina 098
Gina 098

Don't we just fit in so well!!
Gina 104Gina 104
Gina 104

Our personal chauffeur (free of charge!)
Gina 112Gina 112
Gina 112

Debs & Debs


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.05s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb