Our personal tips for you in Langkawi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
May 22nd 2007
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

When you split up the name “Langkawi” you will see that “lang” is a short form for “helang”, which means in Malay language eagle and “kawi” means red lime stone. The Langkawi Archipelago counts about 104 islands but only four of them are inhabited. Due to the fact that the islands consist mainly of pure steep rock without any soil it is close to impossible for human beings to settle there. So they will be preserved for the eagles, the monkeys, the lizards, the birds etc., and for the beauty of the world.

Langkawi is part of the province of Kedah and since about 20 years it has the privilege of being duty free, granted by the former Prime Minister of Malaysia Dr. Mahatir. Geographically it is located at the end of the Straits of Malacca, in the north of the country, close to the border with Thailand, facing the Andaman Sea. Kuah, in the south of the island, is the main town on Langkawi.

Malaysia is a Muslim country but a very tolerant one and you will be impressed by the warm hospitality and the friendliness of the people. You will feel safe and welcomed. Don’t expect a third world country as we have modern highways, shopping malls and everything you might need.

Me and my husband Gerd live here since November 2005 and have set up our company for exclusive private yacht charter. www.bluewaterstarsailing.com We made friendship also with a number of local people and love this country. The population consists of Malays, Chinese and Indians. And a few expatriates from European or other countries. Moslems, Buddhist, Hindus and Christians live on this island and we can say we all live peacefully together.

Here are some tips from me, Eva. Places and restaurants that I like myself and that I can recommend.

Coming to Langkawi from the seaside the Eagle Square with the huge remarkable statue of the brown eagle, bramanikait, the symbol of the island, is really impressive. Only in late 2006 the Jetty Point has been completed as the landing dock for the numerous ferries that go to Thailand and to several ports on mainland Malaysia. By now it has been developed into a large shopping mall with jewelries, duty free shops and restaurants. Even a Starbucks Coffee Shop! Just a few minutes away from the Eagle square you will be impressed by the Taman Lagenda Park. For such a small island this scenic park with its 50 acres is quite surprising when taking a relaxing walk amidst the blooming tropical plants and the historical statues in between that remind of the many legends and myths that are a part of Langkawi.

The beauty of Langkawi is its stunning nature and white sandy beaches.

The Tanjung Rhu beach in the north east of the island is one of my favorits as it is a long sandy beach and is cleaned up daily. The 5 Star Resort Four Seasons and the 4 Star Resort Tanjung Rhu are located here. Don’t forget to refresh yourself after the beach walk at the “Rhu Bar” of the Four Seasons even if you stay in another hotel. It is just magnificent and perfect for a sundowner as it is located facing to the west. And the architecture of the bar fascinates me any time I go there. By the way, the prices are by far not as shocking as you would expect it but the service and the quality of food and drinks make you to over time your stay.

Lets say you rented a car (by the way, you can rent a car from about 12 US up to 30 US depending on the quality of the car. At the Jetty Point you can find local dealers and you can bargain. To charter a driver with a good car should be around some 8 US / hour.) You take the northern route from the Tanjung Rhu and drive to the Datai Bay. The road to the 2 five Star Hotels, The Datai and The Andaman is a nice drive and takes you a serpentine road along the water front to the hotels that are situated in the rainforest. On your way up there is the Crocodile Farm and I think it is worth a visit although other people say it isn’t. Better make up your own mind. It will only take you about 1 hour and you are walking through quite a nice garden while seeing about 1.000 of these creatures. Baby crocs (some with two tails, honestly!) but also huge old once. The attraction is a big, maybe 5 meter long 30 year old crocodile that was born without teeth. The long mouth is rolled up like a towel in your hotel and since it was born is has to be fed by hand and it is the darling of the people working in this farm. Try to arrange your visit for the feeding time.

After this visit you can proceed to the hotels and you pass another attraction worse visiting. The Temurun Waterfall. Take care of the monkeys and better not carry any food unless you want to feed the monkeys with fruits (please don’t give them candies!) The walk to the waterfall takes some ten minutes through the jungle and ends at a huge wall where the water comes down and falls into a small lake. Of course at the end of the rainy season there is more water coming down. Monkeys every where so better take care of your belongings.

At The Andaman Hotel you can enjoy the best ice coffee on the island over watching the rainforest and the Datai Bay. By the way there is an Indian Restaurant in the jungle called the Gulai House belonging to The Andaman. For me it is one of the best restaurants with superb Indian/Malay food but it can happen that they offer you a plastic cork for the smell of the wine and that the Chardonnay is warm but the Merlot is chilled. Take it easy, smile and arrange it a forehead. It is worse it.

On your way further you have to make a stop and go for the Cable Car that takes you up the Mount Mat Cincang. I recommend to go in the morning as normally it is not that windy and of course it should not be a cloudy day. To be honest on this place, I would rather sail the Atlantic another 16 days than taking that cable car again as I have a problem with height and the drive up in that little cage to the mountain is really an adrenalin push. But the whole construction has been built by Austrians and they know what they are doing! Don’t worry, you will be safe. From the peak you can overlook the group of the islands and it is really fantastic.

The Oriental Village at feet of the cable car is very touristy but still worse a visit.

Telaga Harbour Park and the Marina is closed by and you should not miss it. There is a nice restaurant area with different kind of food. The architecture is a copy of the Mediterranean which I think really is a pity. Why they didn’t built it in Malay style I will never understand.

The Italian restaurant Mare Blue is very good. The Pizza is thin and crispy, the wine list is impressive and the atmosphere relaxing.

The Loaf surely is one of the best restaurants in Langkawi but is quite expensive. No, actually it is not expensive for what you get! The salads and appetizers are very creative and superb. They have a Japanese bakery and I as a German, love their bread and pastries the best. Mostly I eat vegetarian food but a few weeks ago I had a steak there and it was just yummy! The restaurant by the way, makes the catering for NAUTINESS, our luxurious motor yacht and the guests where always absolutely delighted.

Time to have some real fun. Go for the Go-Cart! They have new carts since a few months and for me it is big, very big fun! My best time was 1:31. Beat me!

Further south the same road you get to Pantai Cenang which is the top touristy area. You can do some water sport activities here but I admit a have no real idea about it; not my peace of cake. But at the very end one of my favorite restaurants is The Lighthouse. Far too expensive for me but just absolutely nice. Even if you just have a coffee. Yvonne will take care of you. She speaks several languages and is the heart of this lovely restaurant.

Me and my husband Gerd are not for night life but I have been told The Reggae Bar and the Sun Café are nice at night. I had dinner at Sheila’s Place and dedicated myself to a delicious peace of fish with veggies and salad for a very good price. The German owner and his Malay wife set up the dinner in the tropical garden and it is definitely very unique.

If you want to have it more exclusive go to the Bon Ton Resort, a Boutique Hotel and I personally rank it to the best of Langkawi. It is not at the beach anymore since there was a land claiming project a few years ago but in a kind of swamp that I find very special and gives the place more privacy.

Nurell, the Australian lady owner has bought a couple of traditional Malay houses and set them up in the garden surrounding the little swimming pool. The atmosphere of this hotel is very familiar, and the food is just superb. Try the lamb from the grill or the lobster salad. When ever I have something to celebrate and I can afford it, this is my place. It is not cheap but you’ll love it. And if you are looking for a nice boutique to buy some special souvenirs have a stop there. The quality of the dresses, shawls and cushions are delicate. But in case you don’t like cats or you have an allergy, better stay away as Nurell runs an animal farm for homeless cats and dog. (closed by, not in the restaurant, don’t worry) If you have some money left over for a donation, please do so!

Well, you spend enough money the past few days, you are on a budget or you just want to eat where the locals and the expatriates go! There is the Wonderland downtown Kuah. Plastic chairs and plats but the very best food in town. My favorite are the crabs. Either in chili sauce or black pepper. I never eat them anywhere else. You can have beer, fresh coconut juice but in case you want to have a glass of wine you just go across the road, there is a duty free shop and buy your own. The Wonderland will serve you ice and wine glasses and not even charges a corking fee. At the end of your meal the owner comes to you and you’ll have to guess the bill. That’s his kind of game and you will be astonished how little you pay for that superb dinner!

The Fox Hill you can find in the list of our recommended links. It is a bit like the Bon Ton but much cheaper, still very, very nice. Margie, a Dutch lady runs that place und you feel home straight away. Even if you just come for a coffee you are welcomed to use the pool or just to hang around. On Sundays she offers a barbeque for about 25 RM and you will easily get in touch with other people and have a lot of fun, guaranteed! Look to our links, and give her my warmest regard.

Last but not least you come back to Kuah. Visit the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club! It is opened for public and Charlie’s Place, the bar, is nice for snacks and a sundowner. The upper restaurant The Capitan’s Deck, is a little more exclusive and the view over the marina gives it a special atmosphere.
Don’t forget: to really see the beauty of this archipelago you need a boat! Sure, you can take a speed boat to do some island hopping but you are better off with your own boat for a day- or sunset cruise. Just call us or send us an email. Eva & Gerd
www.bluewaterstarsailing.com



Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0962s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb