Making it to Malacca


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Johor » Johor Bahru
December 21st 2013
Published: December 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Not a very appealing breakfast and a stinky wait (not sure if durian or sewer) for our maxi taxi to the bus terminal which is around 5km out of town (MYR20).

There are plenty of buses from Johor Bahru to Malacca many not leaving till 10.30. As we hadn't booked and were there at 8.30 Wayne hastily chose tickets from a gentleman calling "Melakamelakamelakamelakamelaka" for MYR21 each (I think tickets are generally between 17 and 20). If you disregard the fact that we had to walk out to the road to get on the bus that was hardly "new" as described by Melakaman, the breakdown, the busdriver's regular mobile phone conversations and off key singing and the drop off near to rather than in the Malacca bus terminal it was a fine trip.

Taxis in to town (MYR20) seemed to disregard any traffic guidelines such as one-way and lane markings. Wayne and Nic got a guided commentary whilst we just got concern about not being able to stop in the street we were headed to.

After booking in to Baba House we explored nearby Jonker Street - the main part of Chinatown where Wayne and I promptly disregarded all the advice I had given Jesse by trying a variety of meats with unidentified juice at some hole-in-the-wall whilst Tasha and Jesse decided on Hard Rock Cafe. We joined them there to take advantage of the air con and cold beers.

We checked out a fort, some markets, a church, the riverfront and the maritime museum then spent the evening wandering through the night markets.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb