Malaysia Day 5


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Johor » Johor Bahru
May 22nd 2009
Published: May 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 Today is the longest travel day of our trip. We travel form JB to Butterworth via Kuala Lumpur on the Exspress Rekayat train. We are travelling 1st Class and we wish the seats on the train could be transplanted onto our Air Asia flight back to Oz.

We journeyed up from JB through what was jungle but is now predominantly palm oil plantations, which is one of Malaysia’s major exports.

The train left JB about 30 minutes late but the trip has been quite pleasant. Lots of leg room in the seats and they recline very well.

We arrived in KL about 2.30 so instead of about an hour and a half break we only had 15 minutes. This was enough time to get some chips and drinks to sustain us on the rest of the trip to Butterworth.

As we went further north, we noticed that the plantations did start to recede and more and more jungle became apparent. What was quite obvious was the fact that there was an awful lot of work going on alongside the track which appeared to be a duplication of the existing one track line. This was happening almost all the way from Singapore to Butterworth.

We bought some Coke at KL Sentral railway station and that goes down very well with the local rum and whiskey. Peter had one too many and decide to have a snooze. I thought it is was for about an hour, but I’m told it was only 10 minutes.

We arrived at Butterworth at about 9.30 pm, so a little bit earlier than scheduled. The ferry terminal to Georgetown on Penang is located close to the train station but we had to negotiate a steep slope up to the terminal which just about killed Peter and Gina. We also had to run the usual gauntlet of taxi drivers.

We waited about 15 minutes for the ferry and the trip took about the same and we ghen negotiated a couple of taxis to take us to the Bayview Beach Resort at Batu Ferrighi. On the way the taxi driver gave us a bit of a commentary on what to see and do around Penang.
We arrived at the hotel about 10.45, checked in and went for a stroll around the gardens and the pool area. The room is lovely with a shower and bath and a balcony which overlooks a roof. Such is life but Dave and Mary’s room overlooks the pool and we hope to be moved next to them on Sunday.

Incidentally, David took exactly 400 photos today and I thought his sister was bad enough with a camera.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



26th May 2009

Hi to all
Sounds great and looks fantastic. Those satay stick look so good make my mouth water. Take care and have fun. Love ClareXXXX

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb