Macau Day 2


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
March 5th 2012
Published: April 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to a great view outside my window across Nam Van Lake and noticed that Macau is a mix of old and new. Modern buildings and casinos mixed with old historical Portugese heritage buildings. I decided to have breakfast at the buffet inside Wynn which was okay but not great. There was a mix of western dishes and asian and there was even fresh sashimi which is a little strange for breakfast. To finish off my breakfast, I got a coffee from the Starbucks located in a corner of the Wynn casino area which was fantastically convenient for me. It was now time to explore old Macau which was about a 15 minute walk from the Wynn and although it was quite cool I was sweating by the time I got there due to the extreme humidity. The colourful old Portugese influenced buildings offer a nice contrast to the dreary grey apartment buildings and gawdy casinos. On the way up to the ruins of St Paul's cathedral, there was a ridiculous number of shops selling jerky of all varieties and traditional portugese egg tarts. The fresh egg tarts were awesome and is definitely part of the experience of visiting old Macau. Old Macau is definitely a tourist hotspot and is probably one of the few attractions that offer a respite from casinos and gambling.

After coming back from Old Macau and having a shower to get rid of all the sweat, I went back to the ferry terminal to catch a Venetian shuttle bus to take me to the Venetian resort on the other side of Macau - the Taipa / Cotai strip. The Venetian is very similar to the Las Vegas version with the indoor canals and shopping mall. The neighbouring Galaxy resort is certainly massive and to my eyes, over the top! I'm not sure if these sites are larger than the Vegas resorts but they just appear to stand out more for some reason?


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb