Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau » Macau
January 11th 2009
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

“There is a problem with the engine” said the Captain not long after we had passed the half way point aboard our ferry from Hong Kong to Macau. Quite a commotion followed; the hosties weren’t quite sure what to make of the alarm or the reaction of the people on board, namely Chinese people who were terrified the ferry was going to sink. Lots of life jackets were donned and photos taken. A few people became quite irate when there was another pipe made “We are sorry for inconvenience but we will now be arriving three hours later than expected”. This resulted in some instant noodles that are usually for purchase, being made up to keep the masses happy. This was quite a process and the handing out of the noodles was not in any particular order. From what I could gather, they tried to serve the irate people and the elderly people first. We were escorted by two Customs boats into the Macau Port, running slowly on one engine. A few film crews greeted us and an Ambulance to collect a funny old lady who seemed to be having quite an exciting outing! I did feel sorry for the Captain though, he crashed his ferry as we pulled into the wharf. I hope he ate more his share of chocolate that night!

The accommodation in Macau was much cheaper than in Hong Kong. We stayed at a well decorated place with lots of statues from Greek Mythology… it is also a big Casino that sees a lot of day visitors. You noticed the people sleeping on the comfortable chairs at the entrance to the hotel, at any given time of day. I gather a lot of people come over for a day or two from Hong Kong or China and when they are exhausted, just flake out for a few hours in a chair there, rather than check into a room.

We enjoyed some city rambling to see the history of the place. Lots of European architecture mixed with Chinese markets and a good array of food. I was very happy to see street fruit and vegetables again. There doesn’t seem to be as much of it in Hong Kong. The big fort was well worth a visit and the ruins of St. Paul’s were really beautiful. We had some fun with a man from Nepal who was (like many Nepalese and Indian men who work in Macau) missing his children who were back in his home country; Aiden and Callum were the center of attention. We also had a laugh with some Japanese boys on the steps there too. Macau’s smaller towns move along at a slow pace and are full of sleeping dogs. We went up to pay our respects to A-Ma, who is a legendary protector of Sailors. Her statue is made from white jade and is quite a feat. There is a free bus that runs hourly from the bottom of the hill which is very useful and we found an amazing bakery. If you visit Macau, please pay a visit to Lord Stow’s Bakery and you will not be disappointed.

Advertisement



16th February 2009

Lord Stow's Bakery appreciation~ =))
Kind of random but I am actually having my computing seminar at the moment and am required to post comments on blogs. Well... I am a Macau citizen but am currently the UK. Its great to know you enjoy your trip in Macau, and by the way.. I love Lord Stow's Bakery as well.. lol

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb