Tigers, bears and waterfalls!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
September 20th 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Laos!

I've just checked the BBC website and found out about the coup in Thailand - don't worry we're miles away from there (in a different country) and won't be re-entering Thailand for a good couple of weeks yet, hopefully it'll have calmed down by then!

Anyway, it's just me today, so I apologise in advance for any bad jokes, because Jill is currently in bed feeling a bit flu-ee! But she is on the mend, which is good!

Last time we left you we were in Chiang Mai.

From there we travelled upto Chiang Khong, on the border with Laos, by bus - including 2 hours on the local bus which was a bone rattling experience and quite scary - i decided to stop looking out of the driver's window when he started to overtake lorries going into a blind corner!
We spent the night in a fanstastic little bungelow over looking the Mekong and Laos (hopefuly picture attached) and crossed into Laos the following morning.
We began our 2 day boat trip to Luang Prabang. It wasn't as horrendous as it sounds as the views were spectacular and the weather was lovely- in fact it has been our favourite journey yet. The boat was fairly comfortable and the time passed quite quickly.
We stopped over night in Pak Beng and stayed in a guest house that seemed really good value for money - until we realised that there was breaks in the electricity suplly and cold showers - all part of the fun! The following morning it was off to Luang Prabang.

Luang Prabang is possibly the coolest place in the world and was really difficult to leave! It is a sleepy little town that is so relaxed it is impossible. We spent a few days wandering around the temples and having fresh coffee and crossiants for breakfast.
(Here comes the food update) In the evenings there was a night market, which was really magical as the streets were closed off and the traders were lit by hanging light bulbs! Anyway, the food - we food a little stall that did a vegetarian all you can eat buffet and also brought some frest bbq chicken on a stick to go with it - lip smackingly good!!
We visited the waterfalls that surrounded LP as well. The first one Kuang Si was like something out of a Bounty advert, it was stunning and we were able to swim in the pools. It was fantastic because the water was lime green due to the limestone that the water ran over! We also saw a family of black bears that had been rescued from poachers and were being raised in a conservation area.
There was also a tiger (also rescued from poachers) so we looked around the enormous enclosure but couldn't find her. Then we were invited into the hut by the keeper and there before us - touching distance away (we both had the urge to stroke her)- was the biggest 5 month old tiger that I have ever seen. She was beautiful! We then feed pieces of buffalo through the cage using bit of wood the same size as a pencil! On her hind legs she was taller than me! Definitely one of the most amazing experiences of my life!
That night we (and some other westerners) ended up in Laos nightclub - for a very conservative country there were an awful lot of ladyboys! The less said about that evening the better!
The other waterfall we visited was pretty spectacular too! Tae Si waterfall was more cascading an less dramatic but still amazing!

So we've drawn ourselves away from LP and are now in Vientiane. It is meant to be a nice place, but I'm yet to be convinced. It resembles a building site! And there seems to be nothing really to do!
We arrived 2 days ago after a 9 hour bus journey on one of the most windy and bendy roads known to man. There were many a green face and sick bag being passed out!

And that is about it for this update - thank you for all the messages that we're receiving they're very much appreciated and have made us laugh!

We've off south where they don't have much internet apparently. So they're will be no updates until Cambodia - about a week to 10 days probably.
Until then, take care of yourselves and each other!

***And yet again i can't upload pictures, so i'll try again another day! Sorry!***

Advertisement



20th September 2006

Cracker!
Yo guys, you are making me very jealous, wish i was back travelling! Glad you avoided the Military Coup!! Apparently it is still safe to travel there, send us a pic of a tank if you can!!! Love to you both, Stupot out x
21st September 2006

Super super jealous...
Hey guys! Sounds like you're having the most amazing time, god I'm jealous. Would love to do it all again, definitly beats being at work! Keep enjoying yourself and keep the updates coming!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb