Ancient Kingdoms


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
February 23rd 2015
Published: February 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi All--Diane here. This itty bitty computer is new to me, but will try. This is day 9 of our 19 day trip--almost 1/2 way. It is our 4th day in Laos, a rural, very laid back, happy country. Everyone greets us with a smile, a small bow and palms together in front of their chins.

We are learning much about Buddhism, all very positive. 30% of Laotians are Animists, however, a quite superstitious faith whereby they believe that both animate and inanimate objects have a spirit. For instance, one will see flowers tied to the front hood of a car to please the spirit of the car so it won't have an accident. All homes have 4 ft high "spirit houses" out front which pleases the spirit of the house and the land it sits on so nothing bad happens to the occupants.

Today we visited various temples and a Buddhist monastery and spoke with an English speaking young monk. He explained their lifestyle. They have no possessions and the townspeople bring them food at daybreak each day--mainly rice. Rural monks eat only one meal a day (breakfast) and town monks are allowed a second meal, but before
Our MonkOur MonkOur Monk

Women must not stand too close to the monk
noon. Being a monk brings good karma to his entire family so parents encourage all sons to do this as it helps the parents toward their goal of nirvana (like heaven). Most young men spend a few months to a few years as monks even though they later return to a regular lifestyle.

The food is very good and all 3 meals start with a light soup, which is yummy--pork broth with rice noodles, cilantro, basil and chicken. Then about 4-5 extra dishes are brought and shared, Chinese style. Last night we were treated to an appetizer of fried crickets. Very crisp--Asian popcorn!

This afternoon, we went to a small museum devoted to the rehabilitation of those injured from unexploded bombs left from the Vietnam War (called the American War here). Unbelievably, there are 80 million bombs still undiscovered, mainly in rural areas where children come upon them, tragically. Laos was the most heavily bombed country in the world in any war, per capita, although they were supposedly neutral.

Brenda will add pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

PhraThat LuangPhraThat Luang
PhraThat Luang

In front of the reclining Buddha. His last stage before reaching Nirvana.
Great Sacred StupaGreat Sacred Stupa
Great Sacred Stupa

Supposedly contains a relic (part of the breastbone) of the Buddha.


24th February 2015

Crickets!
I've been reading Aunt Brenda's posts and enjoying them immensely. It's nice to see you writing too, mom! Remind me when you come through California next to offer you fried crickets instead of your evening popcorn.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb