Missing Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
March 24th 2005
Published: March 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Jaliya Guest House, Luang PhrabangJaliya Guest House, Luang PhrabangJaliya Guest House, Luang Phrabang

Clayton got the single bed. There is a fan and aircon and a decent bathroom. The guesthouses are tucked away off the street with a quaint little courtyard
Before the roosters started crowing, we hiked to Wat Phu Si (a temple atop a 300 ft hill in the middle of the city) to see the sun rise over Luang Prabang. Somehow the sun beat us to the top, but with the smoke and dust in the air it was a dramatic red disc over the beautiful village of Luang Prabang.

At the top, we took a spin on an old Russian anti-aircraft gun - it was very nostaligic for Benny. We brought a small breakfast of mangosteens (a dark purple fruit with a tough outer skin and sweet/sour white sections on the inside) and some tangerines.

On Xieng Thong Road we rented "Crocodile" bikes for the day. These were were Mom Jones' kind of bikes and made it easy to get around the city for the day. We found a small omelette stand on the banks of the Mighty Mekong and feasted on omlettes stuffed with all sorts of vegetables.

Meanwhile a menacing rooster hovered close behind Benny thinking of a plan to avenge the loss of his potential offspring. Benny challenged the rooster to a staring contest, but soon realized the rooster could only stare
Showerroom/ BathroomShowerroom/ BathroomShowerroom/ Bathroom

You can use the toilet, brush your teeth, and shower all at once at Jaliya Guesthouse
with one eye at at a time and so Benny used this to his advantage by moving back and forth making the rooster so dizzy that he fell over dead. The villagers all came out to cheer and proclaimed him Benny, Conquerer of Chickens.

After checking out of Jaliya Guest House, we rode to Wat Xieng Thong along the Nam Khan river - one of the most beautiful areas of Luang Prabang and maybe all of Laos. In Wat Xieng Thong we saw a very facinating depiction of punishments of Buddhist hell - hanging by your tongue for lying, being chased by dogs and crows for adulterers, boiling in a vat of oil for murderers, etc.

For lunch we found a restaurant overlooking the Nam Khan river. The Khet Khan Phu Si Restaurant got five stars and two thumbs up from Nord & Jones for an incredibly beautiful view of the river, more than delicious food, and suprisingly low prices.

Before departing Luang Prabang, we visited the Royal Palace Museum, and took a leisurely bike ride through the country side crossing an old wooden plank bridge across the Nam Khan river.

Reluctantly, we climbed aboard the
Biking in Luang PhrabangBiking in Luang PhrabangBiking in Luang Phrabang

We rented Crocodile bikes for $1.50 a day and cruised around Luang Phrabang. A great way to see the city.
prop plane for Vientianne. Luang Prabang far exceeded our expectations and was a breath of fresh air after the bigger cities in Thailand.

On arrival in Vientianne, we checked into the Dragon Lodge and headed out for some dinner. The road we took was somewhat dirty and unkept, and a dog nearly attacked Kris - maybe it was the spring rolls in his cargo pockets. We went to bed a little homesick for Luang Prabang.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wat Xieng ThongWat Xieng Thong
Wat Xieng Thong

Kris and Clayton at the most photographed temple in Luang Phrabang. It was not busy at all and very beautiful. We all agree that the temples in Laos are much more attractive than those of Thailand. Perhaps a bit less precocious.
The Best Lao Restaraunt of the Trip so FarThe Best Lao Restaraunt of the Trip so Far
The Best Lao Restaraunt of the Trip so Far

This was right on the Khan River. It was beautiful and the food was delicious. Very high quality. I think it was called Khet Khan Phu Si Restaurant.


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb