Laos - Day 1


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
February 28th 2006
Published: April 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Got to Nong Khai around 6:30AM. Paid for visa and entry cards, etc. Cleared Thai immigration and crossed the Friendship Bridge into Laos. Cleared Lao immigration, hired a tuk tuk into Vientiane. Some random English guy asked to share the tuk tuk with us. Nice guy, antiques dealer who recently discovered the wonders of ebay. Checked into Orchid Guesthouse, it was a dump! Showered and went out to find new lodgings for the next day. Found a few possibles. Lunch at Noi Noi, just okay, nothing special. A tuk tuk driver on the corner offered to take us to Buddha Park and the Beer Lao Brewery. We said OK and were off to Xiang Khoun (Buddha Park). Odd, but interesting, took lots of pictures. On to Beer Lao Brewery, got a free beer and tour of the bottling plant. Next stop was That Luang (the Gold Stupa). Wound up the tour at Patouxai (Arch of Victory). Climbed to the top, took pictures, perused the shops inside. We were dropped off on Fa Ngum Road and walked along the Mekong River to the Sunset Bar (Sala Sunset Khounta). Lime juices and beer then off to dinner. Excellent Indian food at Nazim Restaurant, for less than $6! Picked up some water, a bottle of red wine, a corkscrew, and a roll of toilet paper. You can never be too prepared as far as TP is concerned, since you never know if it will be provided. Compared to Bangkok, wine is cheap in Laos, so we had to indulge! Sat in the lobby and drank our cheap French wine and played cards (and fed the mosquitoes).


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



22nd April 2006

Incredible
Absolutely beautiful. Stay Healthy, food sounds delicious
22nd April 2006

glad to finally see close ups of the two of you :)
22nd April 2006

Whao!
Hi Fel and Todd, Looks like you are having a wonderful time! Have MORE fun and stay safe! Peace
25th April 2006

Pics were great. Think of you often. Have a wonderful time!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb