Laid back Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
September 20th 2009
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saw that this blog was still waiting to be published. I never quite got around to writing the text for it. And hey, it's only about 1,5 years ago now so that's hardly surprising 😊

Anyway since I went through the trouble of sorting, resizing and captioning the photo's I might as well post them.

After our first stay in Thailand we went to Laos and travelled down the Mekong river to Luang Prabang and from there north to a little village in the mountains, all by boat. Then back to LP and on to Vientiane, to cross the border back into Thailand.

I was a bit disappointed by Laos, maybe because I had quite high expectations. For a supposedly untouristy country it was all very organized: we weren't allowed to take normal busses, only tourist ones, there were tuk tuk drivers everywhere trying to take us to various touristy places and everything was very expensive compared to Thailand or Indonesia. At the same time the quality of transport and accomodation was still very much like you would expect from a poor, undeveloped country and more in line with Indonesia. So the worst possible combination in a way, crap quality for a high price.

But the landscape is undeniably beautiful as you can hopefully tell from the pictures, and once we got out to the little village in the north it was extremely peaceful and quiet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



9th February 2011

and then...
Hi Martin, Would love to hear the rest of the story. It has been 1,5 years, so what are you doing now? Are you in Holland? Is Janine? I enjoyed following you around through your blog and have wondered often what the end of the story was. So, spill all please.
9th February 2011

Nice
I'm not much of a photographer myself, but I do appreciate a nice shot.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb