Beerlao and Rabid Sunbears


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
May 31st 2005
Published: May 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

The MekongThe MekongThe Mekong

view from our balcony in Rat Town
Laos is now my favorite place in the world - I know I don't have much to compare with, but it will be hard to beat. We started off with a two day boat ride on the Mekong from the Thailand border to Luang Prabang, which included a night in a small town called Pak Beng (we're pretty sure it means "rat town" in Lao - yeah, we had some night visitors). There are some waterfalls outside of Luang Prabang that are just too beautiful to even be real, and we spent the day there. You can climb to the highest level and jump off rock into the pool for swimming, while looking at the waterfalls above and below. The lowest pool had a rope swing to launch yourself into the water - great day. As we were leaving we came upon some Lao guys who keep sunbears, and they had a little baby running wild (just like a puppy). I asked the guy if it bites, and right after he said no the bear attached itself to my foot with its teeth and claws. Good times. Later that night our group got adventurous and ordered a bunch of Lao food and tried it all. A night that started with an innocent feast ended with two aussie guys running down the street naked in the pouring rain (really mom, one of these entries I won't have to apologize for anything, I promise!).

Yesterday we just wandered around town and treated ourselves to some time in the spa. I got a two hour traditional Lao massage for $6...not too shabby!

Today we survived a minibus ride to Vang Vieng down the imfamous Route 13, although there were a few scary moments involving cliffs, fog, rain, and chickens. I've never seen anything like it. Picture driving through the rockies if the were covered in jungle, with little villages along the way overrun by the cutest little kids possible (not to mention pigs, cows, chickens, dogs and other assorted wildlife).

Thats all I have for now, but tomorrow is river tubing so I'm sure I'll have stories after that!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sun BearSun Bear
Sun Bear

ok, it may look small, but it was vicious!
Route 13Route 13
Route 13

the view


15th September 2005

Just a question
Sure, Laos is beautiful. I have no comment to add on, but like to ask for your trip. Like you did 2 days for the boat ride on the Mékong, was it the quick boat or the slowly one? And how much did you pay for that slow trip? If you don't mind to answer to tabee@hotmail.com

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb