Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
August 10th 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vang ViengVang ViengVang Vieng

A dusty, little town with lots of charm and lots of tourists.
Obviously, backtracking again...
We have had little access to a computer over the last few weeks, but finally we are able to write about Laos. We caught a bus from Luang Prabang and 4hrs later after a very bumpy trip we arrived in Vang Vieng. A small dust bowl of a town with not much to offer, but the surrounding activities and landscape were breathtaking.

We stayed in a cheap room in the middle of town for four nights. Our days consisted of watching 'Friends' reruns at nearly every restuarant in town, drinking, and our favorite...tubing down the river. A great time, and we made several new friends each day we went. (Only 3 times out of 4 days!!)

The photos won't do the gorgeous scenery justice, but we will try...




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The 'Friends' RestaurantThe 'Friends' Restaurant
The 'Friends' Restaurant

With not too much to do in the evenings, thank goodness we could catch up on reruns of 'Friends' at this place! Too bad the food was crap.
The Tubing Hire ShopThe Tubing Hire Shop
The Tubing Hire Shop

To hire a tube its $3.50 and then we also hired a dry bag for $1.00
Going TubingGoing Tubing
Going Tubing

We did this 3 days out of 4 that we were in town. A great way to cool off and fun entertainment for an entire afternoon.
The First of ManyThe First of Many
The First of Many

Beer Lao...the most popular drink served at the little bars lining the river. You didn't think we went tubing just for the water, did you?
Over the OperationOver the Operation
Over the Operation

The BEST thing here...the trapeze swing into the river. Of course, you had to buy a beer in order to swing ;) Dan thinks he's over the surgery...until the next day!
The next bar and swingThe next bar and swing
The next bar and swing

I stupidly lost my sunnies
Both of us on the swingBoth of us on the swing
Both of us on the swing

There is a rope attached to the bottom of the swing, three guys in the bank pull the rope, thus pulling you up into the air. They then let go and off you go.
The resultThe result
The result

The result of our double swing. The Irish fella taken the photo was a little late.
The walk to the cave.The walk to the cave.
The walk to the cave.

We hired bikes and headed out to a set of caves about 13kms out of town.
Entrance to the CaveEntrance to the Cave
Entrance to the Cave

You hired a torch and tube and pulled yourself along a rope into the cave.
BikingBiking
Biking

The long bike home, after a hard days caving it was hard work biking back to town.
The Public BusThe Public Bus
The Public Bus

We kayaked from VV to Vientiane and this is the public bus we met along the way.
Cliff JumpingCliff Jumping
Cliff Jumping

We stopped for lunch half way down and got to jump off a 10 metre cliff.
LunchLunch
Lunch

We had lunch on a rocky bank, the guides lit a fire and cooked up kebabs, rice and bread. Not bad!
The Pickup to VientaineThe Pickup to Vientaine
The Pickup to Vientaine

Two groups of kayakers all put into one small pickup truck. 15 all together.


7th September 2006

Hi Heidi and Dan!! Your trip looks completely amazing so far... It looks like you guys are having wonderful experiences and a great time. We miss you back here in Christchurch ~ can't wait to hear about the next adventure!! :)

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb