Trekking take 3, fake Chriustmas trees and happy menus.....


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
January 28th 2011
Published: February 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yet again we woke up to the alarm as had an early start trekking but felt surprisingly good considering the drunken fun of the day and night before – this curfew business defintely isn’t a bad idea, you just have to remember to start drinking a bit earlier in the day than usual, ha! Well seems this is the morning of the second kettle disaster, Karen knocking it over, not realising it’s full, only at least this time it’s not positioned over the bed so slightly easier to explain away, haha! Also the electric is back on so finally back to morning tea:-)
We get picked up for our trek and travel by truck for about 20 minutes with some other guys, but yet again it’s only us 2 going trekking, so we have our own personal guide again – result :-) We begin by trekking through a local village towards the mountains, there are wild pigs and chickens wandering around everywhere which is so nice to see them being treated humanely. We then come to our first mountain, it wasn’t as hard trekking to the top as we’d thought, I guess by now we must be getting used to all this trekking and the uphill bits are starting to become second nature by now! The views at the top were breath taking, we then carried on our journey down, across a field and up our second mountain, this was a little harder but the reward at the end was a lush waterfall and a BBQ’d lunch so all worth it, had a dip in the waterfall which I might add was ice cold, but good after the long trek in the heat :-) We then started our journey back, only this time we walked through the mountain via a cave, this was amazing, our guide gathered together bamboo sticks and lit them for fire as our torch, at one point we came to a river, Karen went to the trouble to remove her trainers but by now mine had been through so much I just couldn't be bothered, but had no idea quite how bad they would come out the other side, my lovely pink converse trainers now a muddy shade of brown, haha!! Despite the soggy trainers episode though the whole trekking experience was amazing and each trek I’ve done seems to just get better and better than the last one. Now all we hadn’t expected was on our walk back the guide arranged for our truck to pick us up at the tubing bar where we’d partied the day before, great, apart from the fact that we turn up looking like a couple of hobos with our muddy trekking gear and my now pink turned sludgy brown trainers, ha! And guess who we bump into? Psycho bitch!! Off her face on probably more shroom shakes or other happy menus I guess, well at least I know she won’t be going for the shoes on my feet this time,ha! We hang around for a bit and bump into Linda again, and arrange to meet up again that night in the usual haunt, Bucket Bar, then our truck arrives and we head back. Well I must say it myself I did a good job with the trainers – scrubbing brush and travel wash in the shower and their good as new and def have a few good treks left in them yet :-)

Well tonight after dinner I decide to go for a special shake in Bucket Bar, this leads to a few funny moments, the best involving the most pathetic fake xmas tree I’ve ever seen out the back of the bar so Karen and me decide to pose for photos with it, somehow Karen’s tubing cord gets caught up in the tree and we now seem to be totally tangled up in the damn thing, at points the tree is actually now starting to look alive and not quite as pathetic after all!! By the time we’ve managed to unravel her from the tree it seems to snap in half so we decide it looks better as a pair of antlers, we do some photo shoots before heading off to Qbar, where yet again lots of friendly people we get chatting to before we head off home, and yes I’d def recommend the special shakes off the happy menu if anyone is ever in Vang Vieng though maybe stay away from fake xmas trees,ha!

We also decided today to spend a day longer here in VV as there was so much more to do than we’d thought (and not just the shakes, ha!) so we postpone our guesthouse on 4000 islands a day and opt for another days tubing, and more sightseeing.
(NB Today’s blog entry has been heavily edited in parts to save your blushes………………….) !!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb