Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
March 21st 2006
Published: April 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Backpacker Central, Laos.

We had heard great things about Vang Vieng (especially the tubing - more on that later) and were looking forward to getting there. However, the town itself we thought was pretty grim. Back to back guesthouses, all with a big screen TV and all showing continuous episodes of Friends for some stupid reason! Not exactly what we came to Laos for......

But luckily the town is set in some stunning scenery. Huge limestone cliffs, plenty of caves and a great stretch of river.

Those who have been there will obviously know about the activity of choice, tubing!!! Bascially sitting on a big inflatable ring and floating down the river for the day, stopping every so often for a beer and a go on one of the many rope swings/zip lines that line the banks. Sound like fun? It was. The swings get bigger the further down river you get (and the more drunk you get), fininshing at about 8-10 meters.... a lot easier once you've had a few. Both of us awoke the next morning with a few bruises, aches and pains.

Its a shame that we can't load video on to this website as Amy got very vocal on the largest swing...leave it up to you imagination!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb