Bangkok to Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
April 3rd 2010
Published: April 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,
I'm writing from Vang Vieng in Laos, so I'm now into my 3rd country of the trip! I'll try to fill you in on the last couple of weeks or so since Bangkok. Seb (my Swedish friend) and I caught a night bus from Bangkok, after a day doing some sight seeing up to Chiang Mai, which is the capital of the North of Thailand. Chiang Mai was a really cool place - quite quiet, but we had a pretty relaxed time there, and met some nice people. We then decided we wanted to get further into the countryside so took a bus to a really small town called Pai. I thought Pai was really cool - people told us that its become quite developed compared to how it was, but it still had a really hippy vibe to it. We found an amazing place to stay just out of town, in what was pretty much a village of bamboo huts, and loads of people chilling out. Whilst in Pai, we rented out mopeds for a few days and explored local waterfalls and all around the mountains. Some of the roads were pretty crazy, but it was so much fun and the best way to see the area I think.
After a few days in Pai we decided to head to Laos. We took a night bus to the border and then got to the capital Vientiane. Neither of us were keen to stay here, so we headed straight for Vang Vieng. Vang Vieng is awesome. It is a bit of a backpackers ghetto type of place, but we've got to know a lot of locals and both of us reckon we may stay here for a while and possibly look for some work. There is quite a lot to do, including the infamous tubing, which involves floating down a river in a rubber ring stopping at all the bars alongside and playing around on swings and slides etc. Its very surreal but very social and after a very laid back last few weeks its a nice mix.
Miss everyone at home,
Love,
Charles

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb