Tubing down the Nam Song with a Beer Lao in Hand


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
March 5th 2006
Published: March 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng was great. Well the bus itself was kinda average but the scenery was fantastic - huge limestone karsts rising out of the mist and into the clouds above. We wove our way high into the hills, the villages of the lowlands slipping away into the distance, before we sped down the other side only to begin the climb again. It was absolutely mind-blowing. The soundtrack? A compilation of Corb's Led Zep faves including Misty Mountain Hop, and Kashmir. Perfect.

Arriving in Vang Vieng we grabbed a super cheap but nonetheless comfy room just off the main room. The town itself is pretty small - mainly packed with guesthouses, bars, restaurants and travel agents - and jam packed with tourists. We spent a great few days here and wouldn't have minded staying had not we had to press on.

The weather seemed to have smarted itself up for our arrival as the sun shone bright on the morning we set off on our kyaking adventure. First up we did some caving - heading into a cave on inner tubes and floating along through the darkness. It was really atmospheric with our guide singing in Lao and the light of our headlamps bouncing of the stalactites and water.

After lunch we set off kyaking down the Nam Song River, which despite being dry season, was heaps of fun. We made one stop at the largest grandstand along the river where people hang out, eat, drink, and jump off a ridiculously high swing into the water. It was heaps of fun - especially watching the crazy locals doing backflips on the way down.

That evening was another evening of beer Lao with our friends Steve & Sam from Aussie. It was slightly more sedate than our last attempt as the following day it was off to tube the river!

Tubing was heaps of fun (thanks for the recommendation, Will!) and it was a super nice day - I think I might have even got a little burnt though it appears to have tanned now. We stopped off at several bars/jumps along the way, not arriving back into town until 6pm. Also met a cool British couple; turns out Craig has spent the last couple of years living around Sandringham and Mt Eden!!

Also a fave of ours in VV was the Organic Farm Cafe. We had two breakfasts there and a dinner. Totally delicious (especially the mulberry pancakes and shakes) and cheaper than anywhere else in town.

One of the highlights of the trip so far!

Advertisement



7th March 2006

just subscribed
Hi there guys, I've just arrived home from NZ and subscribed now so will keep in contact. Sounds like you are having a great time!!!!Im jealous. Kyla
8th March 2006

swiiiing!
hello you two! ross and i are most jealous of your happy adventures. please to carry on having a wonderful time! we all miss you :)

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb