Lazy Days in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
March 7th 2008
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tubing with a Beer Lao!Tubing with a Beer Lao!Tubing with a Beer Lao!

My feet aren't this big in real life - it's just the perspective!
(Catherine)

After getting off the beaten track in Northern Laos, we got well and truly back on it in Vang Vieng - the most touristy place in the country! Apparently, it's a town you either love or hate and luckily we loved it. It's really relaxing and full of bars where you can lounge around on cushions, eat, drink and watch back-to-back episodes of Friends - it was like being a student again!

We decided to counter-balance all the lazing around by hiring bikes for a day and cycling to one of the many caves in the region. It was a really interesting, if somewhat bumpy, ride. Vang Vieng is in a great location, surrounded by dramatic limestone peaks, and you don't have to venture far to leave the touristy bit behind. The cave itself was HUGE and definitely the most impressive we've seen so far. We were allowed to wander around on our own which seemed a bit dangerous as there were lots of fallen rocks and tunnels to get lost in! Thankfully we made it out in one piece.

We also spent a fun afternoon tubing, which basically involves sitting in a big rubber ring and
Blue Lagoon Blue Lagoon Blue Lagoon

This pretty lagoon was near the cave we visited.
floating down the river. You are driven by tuk tuk to the start of the course and left to float back at your own speed. There are loads of bamboo bars along the way where you can stop for a drink (or get a takeaway beer to enjoy from the comfort of your tube!) so it took quite a while to get back into town! Matt also managed to lose his wedding ring along the way! Luckily it was just a cheap silver one we bought to replace the real one that he lost last year, but I'm starting to think he's trying to tell me something!

One interesting thing we noticed while in Vang Vieng was that lots of the restaurants serve 'happy' food - normal food laced with magic mushrooms or marijuana! You could get happy pizzas, pancakes, fruit shakes, tea... the list went on. The funniest thing was that in the 'happy' restaurants you were given two menus, one with normal food and one with happy food which was discreetly handed to you upside-down!

After Vang Vieng headed to the capital, Vientiane, to get our Vietnam visas (an amazingly quick process - we were in
Waiting for BreakfastWaiting for BreakfastWaiting for Breakfast

This little roadside cafe sold lovely food at really cheap prices.
and out of the Embassy in less than 10 minutes!). Vientiane is a strange city. It's really quiet and the tourist amenities are based around the river front so it seems more like a seaside resort than a capital city. We decided to forego a day's sightseeing to sunbathe by the pool in a posh hotel. Well, there are only so many temples you can see!

Our next stop was Phonsavan to visit the Plain of Jars, three sites that are scattered with huge stone jars. They are at least 2,500 years old but nobody knows where they came from or what they're for. There are several theories for their use which include collecting rain water and holding people's ashes. The area was heavily bombed during the 60s so we also saw some massive craters and an abandoned Russian tank. We weren't allowed to walk around the sites on our own in case we accidentally wandered into an uncleared area - there are still vast quantities of unexploded bombs, rockets, grenades, mortar shells and landmines in Laos, which is the most heavily bombed nation in the world. All three jar sites were in picturesque locations so, along with the history and the mystery, it was a really interesting day out.

We've thoroughly enjoyed our time in Laos but now our visas are running out (and we're running behind schedule!) so it's time to move on to Vietnam. We've been warned that it is nowhere near as relaxing a country to travel through, so we must prepare ourselves for lots of noise, plenty of traffic, unbearable hassle and sneeky scams. Bring it on!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Sleeping BuddhaSleeping Buddha
Sleeping Buddha

This Buddha inside the cave looked like it was lying in state!
Waste Not, Want Not!Waste Not, Want Not!
Waste Not, Want Not!

The locals have found some interesting uses for old war artillery - the gatepost behind me is made from a missile!
Tubing BarsTubing Bars
Tubing Bars

There were loads of bars along the riverside - some even had rope swings.
Enjoying a Drink in Vang ViengEnjoying a Drink in Vang Vieng
Enjoying a Drink in Vang Vieng

This restaurant only played Jack Johnson music - good job we like him!
Vientiane PatuxaiVientiane Patuxai
Vientiane Patuxai

Laos's own Arc de Triumph was one of the few sights we saw in the capital!
Hot Air BalloonHot Air Balloon
Hot Air Balloon

We watched this hot air balloon try to take off from the riverfront in Vientiane for ages - not sure if it ever managed to get any higher!
Another BreakdownAnother Breakdown
Another Breakdown

About 75% of the buses we've taken in Laos have broken down at some point on the journey!
Broken JarBroken Jar
Broken Jar

Lots of the jars were damaged when the area was bombed in the 60s.
Time for Bed!Time for Bed!
Time for Bed!

This list of guesthouse rules made us laugh! Laos has an official curfew whereby everyone has to be in their place of residence by a certain time. This notice informed us that "Under Lao Government you have to go to bed at 11pm"! One night we broke the law and didn't go to bed until 11.30pm!


26th March 2008

Hmmmm you both look very 'happy' in all these photos!! :) xxx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb