Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
December 21st 2007
Published: January 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Although it's completely on the 'beaten path', Chris and I stopped in Vang Vieng for a few nights to relax along the river, take in some caves and kayaking, and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The town of Vang Vieng is essentially one or two long streets of western restaurants, tour offices, banks, guesthouses, and the ever-famous TV bars, which blast the voices of Friends at full volume all evening.

We checked into the Riverside Bungalows-- best move ever-- and slept four nights along the river, waking for sunrise up over the enormous mountain peaks. The town is literally built out of tourism, so much so that everything we wanted to do had to be booked through a tour, which ended up working in our favor, since we were able to meet some really fantastic travelers and friends. Chris and I spent a day kayaking, which was preceeded by an adventure tubing through a really shallow cave, pulling ourselves along a rope bolted in the walls, and praying that our headlamps didn't give out. Our guides also took us to the Elephant Cave, named after an elephant formation protruding from the stalactite, set next to a reclining buddha surrounded by worshippers. Kayaking was fun, and extremely easy since we went downriver; along the way we cruised past tubers (like Salt River back home) and between the MTV bamboo bars, full of partying tourists. Each of the bars has a unique swing contraption that launches drunken tourists (and locals) out into the water, as well as providing plenty of Lao-Lao (rice whiskey) and loud hip-hop music for ambience.

During our time we mostly wandered the river bridges, rented bikes to go out to more caves, drank copious amounts of mulberry shakes from the Organic Farm Cafe (which is part of the nearby WOOFing organic farm), ate lots of fantastic veggie and Indian food along "the strip" with our kayaking friends and the French-Canadian guys we met in Ventiane, and revelled in the gorgeous scenery of the mountains...

Day 3 we did actually rent tubes and float down the river with some friends from the kayaking posse, stopping in the bars along the way. However, we mostly people-watched those brave souls who catapulted off the swings and tried to enjoy the conversation before everyone had too many drinks. Tubing with a twist-- not like back in AZ where everyone brings coolers of drinks and food, everything here is set right up. I had a good time because I was with great people, but I feel cynical about the way an MTV Laos location erupted from this beautiful town, and we foreigners eat it hook, line, and sinker.... 😞

Our last day was solely a day of relaxing before we would bus up to Luang Prabang. We swam in the river, watching the many women and children gathering sea moss from the river rocks, which they stir fry with fish sauce as a local delicacy. Gulped down a few more mulberry shakes, then said goodbye to our new friends before catching the bus early in the morning.~~~


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



21st January 2008

YAY
awesome courtney....Ugh that sounds sooo nice. kayaking and tubing and the bungalow is gorgeous! I am here trying to get my medical kit done. It would be a lot less stressful is doctors and dentists actually showed up and had more than 5 minutes to talk to you. haha Howd you two do it? lol I'm almost done. I was definately nominated for SubSaharan Africa, to do health extension and leave in June...nothing I can do about it (I tried) so Instead of worrying Im getting very excited, It will be completely new to me. Anyway, keep writing! MISS YOU BOTH....

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb