Tubing & Tv City


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thavisouk Riverside BungalowsThavisouk Riverside BungalowsThavisouk Riverside Bungalows

This is where we stayed in Vang Vieng, right on the river, cant get better than that!
After a great few days in Luang Prabang I was ready to move to the place Id heard so many mixed reviews - apparently its like marmite - you either love it or hate it!

The main thing to do here is Tubing along the river and sitting around watching Friends in any of the many Tv bars.

The journey from LB was a nightmare (for me anyway!) I got seriously motion sick, and actually pucked out the window - nice! The roads were extremly whindy and what can I say, I obviously prefer to be in the driving seat and not at the back of a bus! Apart from that the journey was cool because Karen (girl I met on day trip in LB) introduced me to a group of really nice people - Lisa (Irish), James(English), Simone(Ozzie), Jo(Irish), Mic & Dave "The Twins"(Ozzie). When we arrived we well and truly landed on our feet with accomodation. We were taken to The Thavisouk Riverside Bungalows which were right on the river funny enough and they were bungalows!! wow! Perfect location! Cost between 3$ - 15$.

Our first afternoon we checked out the place, pretty small, only
Tube TaxiTube TaxiTube Taxi

This is what took us and our tubes to the starting point 3km north of Vang Vieng.
a couple dusty roads lined with video cafes, internet cafes and a few shops & travel agents. Such a great chilled out place, no hassle what-so-ever! Felt really odd not to be called to buy something!

Second day we all went tubing. Costs 40,000kip which is 2quid for the whole day!! This is a wierd experience to start with as you get dropped off at the river with a big black rubber ring and basically get in it and float down the river for the day stopping off at the numerous bars, where you can have a go on the swings (dangerous mix of alcohol and water swings, but I didnt see any accidents). You'll be pleased to know that I had a go, even though when I climbed up I realised it was much higher than it looked from the ground!!

Next day we hired bikes and explored the beautiful countryside and tried to find some waterfalls we'd be told about...unfortunately it wasnt to be. That evening me and Lisa went up to the Organic Farm (near where the tubing begins-about 3km north of V.V) Had some dinner and spoke to a few of the residents, it
Floating down the RiverFloating down the RiverFloating down the River

Was not easy to take pictures while sitting in a tube. This shows a bit of what its like, the bars and swings set up along the banks and everyone just floating down the river...
seems like a pretty cool place to stay if you have time but a little isolated and not very easy to get to and from town as we discovered! It was a mini adventure anyhow.

Most nights we ate in the many Pizza places - actually thinking about it I had Pizza 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed there! So far in Laos my diet has been rubbish, but its so good to have some food from home!

So after my time here Im definately a lover not a hater. Theres a great atmosphere, especially tubing along the river, everyone talks to eachother - you meet so many people and have random little chats until you get stuck on a rock and thats the end of that! ha





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The gang!The gang!
The gang!

Lisa, Mick, Me, Jo, James, Simone, Karen & Dave. We were stopped for a well deserved beer at one of the many bars along the river!
Hard Day at the Office!Hard Day at the Office!
Hard Day at the Office!

This is Karen, Me and Lisa chilling at one of the bars along the river, we met lots of people and was lots of fun!
The GirlsThe Girls
The Girls

Lisa and Simone, top girls!
The death swingThe death swing
The death swing

You might not know this but I am scared of heights, and to swing from this height was pretty hard to do for me!! You can see me climbing up the stairs... when I finally convinced myself I wasnt going to die, I did it but screamed all the way!!!
Video cafeVideo cafe
Video cafe

This is one of the infamous Friends Video cafes, they just show Friends all day, I went in one evening and that was enough, great though as Iv missed TV!
Dinner with friendsDinner with friends
Dinner with friends

Best place for pizza, very chilled out, spent most of our evenings here...
On Our Bikes!On Our Bikes!
On Our Bikes!

Went off for the day exploring the countryside around Vang Vieng, was beautiful. Had a very sore bum though as roads were a tad bumpy!!
Great sceneryGreat scenery
Great scenery

..lots of cows too!


30th May 2007

lOOKING GOOD GIRL
Sophia just sat and read all your blogs today and looks like you have had one mega journey. You are also looking so trim from all the exercise and diving. Colour fab too .....I am soooooo jealous. Looking forward to catchin up when you get back. Lots of love............Aunty Sandra.........xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb