"So No One Told You Life Was Gonna Be This Way"


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
January 7th 2007
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phou Kam LagoonPhou Kam LagoonPhou Kam Lagoon

The green-blue lagoon just below Phou Kam cave

Water Activities in Vang Vieng


Vang Vieng, a quite little town in north Laos, was the right place at the right time. It was a return to the tranquile countryside after busy Bangkok and that was exactly what we needed. We found there a Laos that is rapidly growing to be the next north Thailand, but still hasn't reached the same level of tourist masses that have destroyed the latter. Still, we expected to find more authentic place than we did, which Laos is already not. It's still much poorer than its neighbour, Thailand, but the facilities in the main touristic destinations suit the taste of even the more spoilt westren tourist. It was no surprise then to find many older tourists even in Vang Vieng, a former backpackers town, changing it into a "smarter" place.

It is still a great place to visit and we loved every moment we spent there. The setting is amazing amid krast hills flanking the town. There are many water activities around the river that flows nearby, such as tubing, kayaking and water jumping which makes life good. The limestone caves are also a main attraction though we didn't find them that attractive, maybe
Phou Kam LagoonPhou Kam LagoonPhou Kam Lagoon

The water were so clean that we could clearly see the fish swimming below
because we're not into caving so much. Anyway, we visited Chang cave which was less impressive than the Israeli Netifim cave. We decided to stay outside so we just hired bikes and rode all over the place. There are many dust trails around town leading to caves and amazing lagoons, to which you can jump with Omega, and biking in the best way to move around.

About the Lao people, well, they're still not the greedy Thais, but it seems that with the hordes of tourists yet to "discover" Laos, things will soon look similar. Anyway, they're nothing like the warm Indians who we really learnt to appreciate. The good part is that they understand the needs of the common westerner much better than the Indians. It means better food and better entertainment everywhere you go. A weird phenomenon we encountered was the nonstop reruns of the TV show iFriends in almost every restaurant in town. We never liked this show too much but it's simply pumped into your veins everywhere you go. We managed to find another place which runs movies and it was much better seeing Face/Off (what a great movie it is!) and Shrek II.
The SwingThe SwingThe Swing

This amazing swing throws you 10 meters above the river to which you fall helplessly. From my own experience - try to enter the water in 90 deg if you wanna keep your balls undamaged... :(

We left Vang Vieng after a week without too much will. It's a place we could stay in much longer but time ran out and we had to move on.




The Title is taken from The Rembrandts' song "I'll Be There For You" (Lyrics) the theme of Friends we now know by heart after all its re-runs in the local restaurants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Nam Song River Nam Song River
Nam Song River

View from our room balcony
Sunset over Nam Song River Sunset over Nam Song River
Sunset over Nam Song River

and yet another view from our room
View from Chang CaveView from Chang Cave
View from Chang Cave

Nam Song, as seen from a "balcony" inside Chang Cave
Karst HillsKarst Hills
Karst Hills

Vang Vieng is surrounded by many limestone hills as the one seen here, creating a very special landscape pattern.
Buffalo Buffalo
Buffalo

This "Jamuss" stayed in the water for 2 days in a raw. what a "life"!
Kayaks Near  Nam SongKayaks Near  Nam Song
Kayaks Near Nam Song

Kayaking on the Nam Song is one of the main water-acvities in Vang Vieng
Water Bar Water Bar
Water Bar

When you're tired of tubing, you just need to stop in one of these water-bars, one which you spend hours sitting in the sun and watching the guys jumping of the swing


16th January 2007

come rain or shine
what a fun place!!! amazing how the place can change in 4 months between rainy and dry season. using your naming convention for entrees - we would have called ours: "These mist covered mountains Are a home now for me"
21st January 2007

the other side of earth
Guys, great adventures and pictures :-) was great to be with you in India and Nepal, and wish I could stay in the east too, but... I'm in New Zealand :-) lot's of rain, but beautiful country, pictures soon...

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb